Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper hold down clamps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    Ok I have an update on this I came up with a different hold down but it has its own issues. There is too much deflection in the cylinder rod to hold a workpiece securely. If I crank up the air pressure then my mount has deflection. Any ideas on how to improve this?

Attachment 478967Attachment 478966
    What bore and shaft size are those? That mount needs to be heavier to keep it from deflecting.

If you feel the fence is sturdy enough to mount the clamps to then use heavier gauge material for the bracket. That fence extrusion looks a bit light for the purpose but you are in a better position to judge. What pressure are you feeding to the clamps? If the rods are deflecting they may be defective or not suited for the task. They need to remain vertical or tipped toward the fence in use to keep the material from creeping forward away from the fence and backer.

Seems like a flange mount cylinder would be easy to mount. Or they make flanges that can be attached to a tie rod cylinder.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    1.5" is the minimum bore I'd be comfortable with, ideally it would be 2" with a 5/8 rod.

the big shops often had a guy who built custom stuff and modified machines to make a process work better and faster. This rig was built to do cathedral raised panels with a very large cutter in one pass. Your set up is not up to the job.

P1440593A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-09-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Warren what is the flat sheet on that rig? Aluminum die plate would be my guess.
    Bill D.

1/2" plate steel. Also very interesting is custom guy built this with an outboard bearing. A template went in below and allowed it to follow the bearing but from the outside not at the cutter head. As well there was precision guides below and an air piston so you could run air pressure to maintain bearing contact and not have to focus on doing that when machining, you pick how much you want. Had Thompson linear bearings below I thnk was the brand.

Another possibility to consider:

51AVPYf7xGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KBC3-BAS...s%2C201&sr=8-6

When I have experimented with pneumatic clamping in the past I have found that I do not use it enough to make it worth the hassle FOR ME. I found that I prefer mechanical hold down clamps for most things due to there simplicity. If I were a production shop pneumatic clamping would probably have much more appeal to me.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 05-09-2022 at 8:50 PM.

1/2" steel plate. I bet that was not lifted off very much.
    bill D

Dedicated machine. Seen up to 12 shapers in a shop so same thinking. The THK bearings or whatever Thompson maybe were screwed right into the top of the shaper table then all this rode on that but also on other bearings under this so it went in and out as well as front to back, that allowed curved work. Yes it was heavy when I took it off the machine. No negatives about the weight, their focus was getting the work done and heavier is better.

They are 1 1/16 bore, 3 inch stroke, I believe the rod is 5/16 possibly 3/8. I did look for a extrusion that I could stack on top of the existing one however it was a odd size and the t track is not centered. That is how I ended up with the mount I have. Im now wondering if there is a simple way to use the vertical post but put a larger cylinder on that to add to my current set up. I do believe this set up is sufficient for cabinet door but I don't think it will be for larger projects.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    They are 1 1/16 bore, 3 inch stroke, I believe the rod is 5/16 possibly 3/8. I did look for a extrusion that I could stack on top of the existing one however it was a odd size and the t track is not centered. That is how I ended up with the mount I have. Im now wondering if there is a simple way to use the vertical post but put a larger cylinder on that to add to my current set up. I do believe this set up is sufficient for cabinet door but I don't think it will be for larger projects.
    Your cylinder bore is too small for effective clamping. A 1.0625 bore is only .89 sq inches. Assuming you are running 100 psi that's only 89 pounds of force per cylinder. To compare I'm running 211lbs of force per cylinder on my sled.