Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone make a set of hollows and rounds?

Blog Entries
    In Patrick Leach's monthly list there are occasionally H&R full, half and partial sets. In the May list there is a half set for about $700.
    This month there is a set of 30 H&Rs listed for ~$795. My guess is it may already be sold.

My accumulation has been mostly purchased and some were acquired by trading for them. The exact number of how many are in my kit eludes me. My attempt at counting my planes ended when it got to about 60.

My best guess for my group of Hollows & Rounds is it probably set me back less than $300. It includes all but one of the even numbered sizes and a few of the odd numbered sizes.

With a pair of the same size H&R from different makers it is easy to use one of the pair to make the other conform so they are matched to each other.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into that for sure when I get some more cash.
    To add, Ed seems to specialize in user grade stuff. Not so pretty, maybe a ding or two but certainly can be tuned up to work. Jim's stuff tends to be higher-end and so is priced accordingly. Been happy with purchases made from both.

Horses for courses as they say.

Good luck!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

3. Tod Herrli does not teach laminated plane making. He used to use laminated plane blanks, but the construction was and is somewhat conventional.

With todays glues, I don't think there's any reason to not use laminated construction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    With todays glues, I don't think there's any reason to not use laminated construction.
    Tradition and aesthetics are always good reasons. Learning and execution are a couple more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I totally agree with you. I would prefer to make them in the traditional way and I have the wood stashed for this purpose. I still may start out with laminated just to be sure I can make a usable plane. As much as I want to build a plane, I don't want to buy expensive floats to do it. Not right now anyway.