Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockler in NJ

I took a little drive today to visit the new Rockler in Moorestown...seemed like a nice day to be indoors and in my vehicle with air conditioning anyway. I was actually impressed with the size and organization of the place and really enjoyed wandering around looking at many things that I've honestly only seen photos of or in videos. The staff was very friendly...honestly, a bit too friendly, but there was a lot of them and only myself and two other customers at the time. Not a terrible thing for sure. But they are only a month old and the staff is clearly still getting up to speed. All the blue gadgetry was easy to browse and there were few "blank" spots showing no stock. They had a surprisingly large inventory of wood for sale. It was all surfaced which is not what I personally look for, but it's definitely handy for folks who want or need S4S for project work. There is a reasonably sized and fully stocked classroom in one back corner of the shop for classes. I managed to get out the door only $102 less "wealthy"...not including gas and lunch and time in traffic. That's the thing...for someone like myself that's on the other side of the river to the north and or west of Philadelphia, it's a bit of a haul to get to this store. So I doubt I'll physically go there without a good reason. But it's only because of logistics. The store is very nice and honestly, it's much nicer than the Woodcraft that's even farther in a different direction. I do hope it will help stimulate more folks to take up the craft...since they can actually fondle stuff and talk to others that (hopefully) have some woodworking experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The new store here in Fairfax is really nice. They said it is the largest one in the Rockler chain. Huge selection of wood. It is easy to get to from several main roadways.

Just curious to know if the new NJ and VA stores are company or franchise? I’ve got a franchise that carries a small selection about 45 minutes out. Company Rockler & Woodcraft are 85 miles + each way and into Chicago suburban traffic—makes for 4 hours drive time round trip. So, only go in person if I’m close for some other reason, and time allows…not often at all!!
    earl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There was a recent thread about a Rockler opening in that area...it will be nice to have one within a reasonable distance. The last time I had the opportunity to visit one was in the Denver area years ago!
    Jim, one just opened in Fairfax VA not far from me.

Earl, my best guess is that the majority of stores are franchises. Woodcraft has been that way for a very long time. "Other people's money" is the most cost effective way for these brands to get new locations in what is pretty much a pretty risky business.
    --

Makes sense to me Jim, thanks!!

It's my understanding all the Rockler stores are company stores with the exception of "Rockler Independent Resellers". They are often businesses that already are selling tools and supplies and also carry Rockler branded items. They have their own name listed for the business name. The New Jersey and Virginia locations are listed as Rockler company stores.

So I visited this store a few weeks ago. Its about an hour from me so I packed up one of my daughters and took the trip. Nice store, the staff seem excited about there being a store around. I did get to visit twice as I bought a bluetooth remote and sensor for my CT and left it on the counter. So unfortunately I had to go and spend more money

LOL...that's one of the most creative excuses for returning to a store for more stuff, George. Did your better half accept it?
    --

She did, I had NO choice but to go back it was 82$ plus tax I left there. I actually did the math and I figured it was 2 hours of time and after gas id only be retrieving $50 or so. She was actually more concerned about me leaving it. I went back a week later when I had a meeting closer to the shop.

The bluetooth on the festool CT is pretty awesome, I have a 30' hose or so that drops from the ceiling so when I am not using a festool tool and just want to vacuum I have to go back to the CT. Not anymore.