Thread: Grizzly G0586 jointer fence square sage

Grizzly G0586 jointer fence square sage

OK. Reminder, the fence was moving off square when I tightened the tilt mechanism, it was also moving off square when I turned it on and off. I finally removed the fence and took it to a local shop that could grind it for me. In removing the fence one of the nuts holding the fence to the travel mechanism was loose. Wonder if this was what was causing the play? The shop said the fence was .015 out of flat. I think it's been like this from the beginning, but... For $400, that I didn't want to spend, he ground this flat and he put a 90 degree on the 3"-4" little foot that the fence sits on the table on. I honestly think this little foot was the problem from me tilting it over 12-14 years it had gotten worn and was no longer flat and was allowing the fence to move as a result, not sure, but I suspect.

Anyway, having the grinding done and reinstalling the fence, it squares, doesn't move when I tighten the tilt lock and stays put when I turn the machine on and off. Real test will be milling some lumber, but I think I solved the mystery.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Brian
    Brian

As is so often the case, many problems like this can be solved with money! Glad you resolved this vexing problem.

I have a 12" Griz jointer that had similar fence issues. I could get very close to 90 deg.--no light shining thru the edge of my mortising square--but it would tend to move a little over time/use.
    I just got in the habit of checking square if doing more critical jointing. Last time I checked it the fence seemed a bit loose and I noticed the hinge pins for the fence angle adjustment have no retainers and were working their way out of the hinge mechanism. One was about to fall out and it would have dropped onto the cutter head. Stroke of luck??? All the pins were out of position and after repositioning them the fence is more stable and will see if that helps maintain the 90 deg. I've had the jointer over 10 yrs and never noticed the pins before so that would be a good thing to check if your machine has a similar design. Good luck.

I'm not sure if having a bow in the fence is a problem. Twisted would be though. Glad you got it solved. I think the problem is that demand is so high they just rush them out the door. The metal probably isn't even cool from casting it when it gets to the grinding step.