Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shop - Best Dust Collection Vendor

New Shop - Best Dust Collection Vendor

Hi

I just moved into a new home in Delaware. One of the wonderous features of the property is a 30' x 30' pole barn that I am developing as a wood shop. I just got the blessing from SWMBO to install a proper dust collection system. I am looking for a company that will aid me in the design, and sell the appropriate equipment - both duct work and DC. I have the following machines:

Sawstop PCS - with Floating Overarm Dust Collector (2 connections)
    Jet 6" Jointer
    DeWalt 735 Planer
    Jet 10/20" sander
    Laguna SUV bandsaw (2 connections)
    Bosch Mitre Saw
    Jet OSS
    Jet 17" Floor mounter Drill Press

I can arrange these all in whatever layout would be best for dust collection. I have 220 service in the barn. Who do I call? It used to be Penn State and Oneida. Are they still around, and are there new companies that might be better resources? Any and all help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Oneida and Clearvue should be able to design and supply all components you will need. Harvey also has their dust collector, just no sure they design. Once you have the design and parts you may be able to source cheaper than those 2.

Oneida and Clearvue are generally the vendors that fit the description of your needs. Both can and will do duct design and even offer to provide the ductwork components.

I'm firmly in the Oneida camp with great experiences over several systems over the years.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-29-2022 at 9:37 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a ClearVu. It has been fine but if I did it over I’d likely go with an Oneida or a metal ClearVu instead of the MDF ClearVu. I like the idea that ClearVu credits Bill Pentz for his pioneering work in dust collection but I would look more seriously at Oneida if there is a next time. I dropped my plastic ClearVu cyclone when I had it in storage and cracked it. I was able to glue it easily enough but metal wouldn’t have been damaged.
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 04-27-2022 at 6:12 PM.
    The Plane Anarchist

Joe,

I recently put in a new Oneida V-3000 DC and new ductwork. I did the first draft of the design then sent it to Oneida to refine it. It took a couple back and forths but in the end they did a good job. If you buy any ductwork from them they'll subtract the design fee. One tip is to check with a local hvac dealer for the pipe and get the wyes, reducers etc from Oneida.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

If you’re looking for a cyclone I would go with Oneida, I did 20 years ago, still working great……Rod

I'm interested in which DC Oneida suggests for 900 sq. ft. shop size and those tools . I'm not in need of anything myself , but curious just the same .

I feel the daunting task before you as I recently took this journey.

I went with the Oneida Gorilla Pro 5 hp and 7" clamp together metal piping from Blast Gate Co. Looking at the Oneida website now, it looks like the 3hp and 5 hp gorilla pro collectors are the same price... and both of them are 1000 more than i paid for them 6 months ago. Yay inflation...

As far as the ducting, It cost me 900 dollars to ship from Blast Gate Co to me in Washington state. The shipping was absolutely a gut punch. However, doing research into comparable Nordfab piping (sold locally by Grizzly), 1 for 1 swapping with the Blast Gate Co piping, fittings, and blast gates, would have added 1000 dollars to my shipped price (and then I still would have had to pay sales tax). Discussing the compatibility with Blast Gate Co, everything Nordfab fits theirs except adjustable sleeve pieces (my guess is because ID is different due to slightly different gage steel being used).

Based off my experience with Oneida and Blast Gate Co, my recommendation is to go with them. I chose Oneida due to their smart feature and their standard filtration is better than the standard offering of ClearVue.
    Last edited by Jeremy Treibs; 04-29-2022 at 1:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    I'm interested in which DC Oneida suggests for 900 sq. ft. shop size and those tools . I'm not in need of anything myself , but curious just the same .
    I resemble that remark with my planned new shop building, for the most part relative to size. etc. Their 3 hp system will likely do the job just fine, but I'll likely opt for the 5hp for even better performance when I'm running both my CNC and another large tool simultaneously. The cost difference isn't substantial, IMHO.

I'm also already on the Blastgate Company band-wagon for clamp-together duct in my temporary shop and will continue that in the new building, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-29-2022 at 3:34 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    I feel the daunting task before you as I recently took this journey.

I went with the Oneida Gorilla Pro 5 hp and 7" clamp together metal piping from Blast Gate Co. Looking at the Oneida website now, it looks like the 3hp and 5 hp gorilla pro collectors are the same price... and both of them are 1000 more than i paid for them 6 months ago. Yay inflation...
    OMG, you're not kidding. I bought a Oneida V3000 3HP for $2499 about 9 months ago. It's now $3499.

I went with 6" PVC from the big box store. It was heavier and harder and more time consuming, but a lot less money.

Blog Entries
    I’m interested in the feedback as well.
    I have a similar list of tools (some more too but I’m sure that’s true for the OP as well with several on the list being larger). I have been considering upgrading my 20+ year old Grizzly 2 hp dust collector (modified with a Thein baffle). I exhaust out of a window (I understand the HVAC implications but it’s really not that noticeable in my climate).

My problem is my current unit actually works well and I’m concerned I may be disappointed with an “upgrade”.

I’ve looked at the Oneida offerings several times and they market them well. But that Harvey unit is intriguing. They are very different designs and I can’t tell how much functional difference one would see with them.

In the end - I wonder if my old 2hp Grizzly actually may work as good as these much more expensive units. I have had a number of Grizzly tools over the years and have upgraded all but my dust collector. But dang ir does a really good job. I also have a pulley system rigged up to lift the baffle from the metal trash can the baffle dumps chips into so most of the original dust collector design has been modified. I mean in the end it’s a blower which is an impeller connected to a motor. And if the impeller is made for the right combination of flow and pressure then what is gained by these other units? I understand a higher powered unit could move more air but I’m a one man hobbyist. Maybe too it’s that I duct exhaust outside that I see good performance.

But the units mentioned here sure look sexy!
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 04-30-2022 at 12:33 AM.

Joe:

My tools are somewhat oversized from yours, but I am a one man hobbyist. I chose the 5HP Oneida. Overkill - perhaps, but it works great for some long runs and curves to machines, especially my wide belt sander.

No issues. It just plain works, so I'm a believer.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Eric, I admit that the Harvey is interesting. But it would also require rethinking how I set things up on the shop because it doesn't have the same air flow as the larger Oneida cyclones and I really do want to run both the CNC and another big tool simultaneously. I'm concerned that the Harvey "in real life", not from manufacturer marketing, would be up to my expectations. But I have plenty of time to consider things still...
    --

The variable speed drive in the Oneida Smart Gorilla Pro is a big advancement. The answer to most dust collection problems is more air. The variable speed does this over a range of conditions. A 4 inch port that needs 800 CFM to catch all the dust. No problem. Conventional fixed speed blowers cannot match it.

The Harvey also has variable speed. It has a different separation technology than the usual vertical cyclone.

I agree, Thomas, and it's yet another reason I remain a big fan of Oneida.
    --