Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accurate Laser Ruler, mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For those wondering why a digital measurement might be attractive...for some of us, it's about our eyes.
    Digital I get, laser I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Exactly, that’s how I do it.

I bought the Lee Valley fittings and made 4 different length flat bars for it, extremely easy to use and you can carry it to the saw and set a stop for cutting…..Regards, Rod
    I checked those out, think I will get. How do you use them as a stop ? Clamp ?

Sounds like a caliper of sorts is what is needed... Mitutoyo makes all sorts of versions, but they are not in the cheap end...
    Google found a 12" version for around 50 $......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Digital I get, laser I don't.
    Yea, for fine woodworking, it's not really workable. But these things have gotten really good and are being extremely helpful to builders and remodelers for sure. This is particularly true where there's a lot of variation, for example, in wall height across a space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    I checked those out, think I will get. How do you use them as a stop ? Clamp ?
    Hi, sorry for the confusing post, I use them to set the stop on the crosscut fence, one end against the blade tooth, other sets the croscut stop.

You can set the rip fence the same way.

If you need a measurement a machinist square or steel rule work great................Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, sorry for the confusing post, I use them to set the stop on the crosscut fence, one end against the blade tooth, other sets the croscut stop.

You can set the rip fence the same way.

If you need a measurement a machinist square or steel rule work great................Regards, Rod
    Thanks Rod, I kind of figured that out after I asked but learned something useful & good today. I bought the Rockler version due to 3 different end uses & included rods. Have used good tape measure for many years - room for a little some improvement. 8 > )

Richard, I asked a question about “vernier calipers” a couple weeks ago and the HF you show in your post was suggested. We have a new HF down the road a piece so I stopped in and bought the calipers. They are giving me fluctuating readings however. I have been very careful of operator error. My next trip to Auburn I’ll be returning them.

I started with a "not expensive" digital caliper and ended upgrading to the iGuaging version which has been excellent but still isn't expensive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...