Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate Laser Ruler, mm?

Accurate Laser Ruler, mm?

I'm looking for a laser ruler that is affordable and accurate. Anyone have knowledge of one?

Not quite sure what a laser ruler is, but I have one of these, Bosch Blaze GLM50C. It seems accurate to 10th's of a mm, but as it's handheld, there is operator error in keeping it still.

I often use it to set up drawer widths after a cabinet carcass build. It's easy to measure the internal width at the front and rear of the cabinet, to adjust if the cabinet sides are a little out of parallel.

BOSCH Blaze GLM50C
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 04-27-2022 at 3:29 PM.

I say a laser ruler, but maybe caliper is more to the points. Everything I'm measuring is around a foot and under. Accuracy to the 100th is preferred, however tenth of a mm might do.

No. I want to use it to measure short distances in mm, like under a foot.

A decent digital caliper would likely fit the bill, at least for about 150 mm and shorter. You may have a challenge getting one that goes to 300mm. Laser measuring systems tend to be focused on the construction trade and while latest generations are "pretty darn accurate", the device itself has to fit within the distance to be measured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A decent digital caliper would likely fit the bill, at least for about 150 mm and shorter. You may have a challenge getting one that goes to 300mm. Laser measuring systems tend to be focused on the construction trade and while latest generations are "pretty darn accurate", the device itself has to fit within the distance to be measured.
    Makes sense. I must be dreaming. I have a few digital calipers that do the job, but for what I'm using it for, a laser "ruler" would be perfect. Oh well...I'll dream on...

Blog Entries
    Laser distance meters are not really suitable for woodshop use. Even the most accurate ones have the same error weather measuring short or long distances. I have a Leica Disto that was over $800 and has an accuracy of +/- 1mm, but that's the same whether measuring 1m or 180m. There are many less expensive that are as accurate, but the Leica has a built in zoom camera that allows you to see your target under conditions that make it impossible to see the laser dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    No. I want to use it to measure short distances in mm, like under a foot.
    Don't you mean under 305mm. I have yet to see a laser that can measure a flat board. I've only see shooting between walls.

I wonder how the craftsmen who built the furniture at Winterthur managed?
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    I wonder how the craftsmen who built the furniture at Winterthur managed?
    Pinch rods?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Probably. They still work!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Pinch rods?
    Exactly, that’s how I do it.

I bought the Lee Valley fittings and made 4 different length flat bars for it, extremely easy to use and you can carry it to the saw and set a stop for cutting…..Regards, Rod

For those wondering why a digital measurement might be attractive...for some of us, it's about our eyes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For those wondering why a digital measurement might be attractive...for some of us, it's about our eyes.
    That's exactly why I got a digital readout for my table saw. So much less eye strain.