Thread: Replacing cutter inserts on helical head

Replacing cutter inserts on helical head

I have a Shelix cutterhead on my 8" jointer and I need to install new cutters. I need 40 of them.

$48.75 ($195 total) "JT" brand @ Grizzly

$29.95 ($120 total) OEM Byrd brand

Seems a bit confusing I would think Byrd would be the best. The JT does get very good reviews.

So my question is, does anyone know if JT is that much better than Byrd, or is this just "charge what you can get"?

My experience is that a lot of the consumable OEM stuff from Grizzly is way overpriced. The Byrd inserts will probably be fine. The last time I bought inserts, after determining the size, side and corner radius and hole size, I went on line and bought the cheapest generic inserts I could find. The work fine.

If you have a Byrd head why would you even be considering generic inserts from Grizzly, especially when they are more expensive than OE?

Sure doesn't seem very confusing to me.

Last time I bought inserts, I got 120 of them from a highly rated seller/company on alibaba for $1.15/pc. Like Dave said, once you know the specs, you can get them inexpensively. There were cheaper options on alibaba, but I went with the company that seemed most legit.
    JR

I checked into this subject a couple of years ago. Byrd inserts will not fit on a Grizzly head think of it like ink cartridges from a printer. Also there are different grades of carbide. I take care of some machines at a saw mill Byrd seems to last longer. (That is my observation not necessarily a scientific fact.)

And if the inserts were universal don't you think you would see aftermarket support for them?

Most of then are made by Tigra in Germany. Also made in China and Taiwan. Tigra Cutters usually come in a plastic sliding lid box of 10. I've bought them from BAM Carbide in the past but as Rod said, check Aliexpress. They last a long time. Grizzly brand seems way over priced.

I know that a square carbide insert would be designated S as the first letter. In have no idea on the hole shape, relief angle, IC size etc. The tolerance is probably fairly loose.

Bill D.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-01-2022 at 12:13 AM.

How long did the first set last you?

I'm with the others, Grizzly is overpriced, and JR has good experience.
    JonathanJungDesign.com