Thread: Thein Top Hat

Thein Top Hat

Years ago (2008-2010) I made a Thein Top Hat for my Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector. I made it to apec and it took me forever to make it perfect. However, I used a 21 gallon galvanized garbage can to collect the chips, etc and vented the fine dust outside.
    I am getting tired of continually emptying the can, and I’m thinking about converting it to a 55 gallon drum.
    I was thinking of just cutting out a circle of 1/2” mdf and extending the slot into it.
    Are there any concerns that you all would have about doing this. I was just planning on screwing it to the existing bottom, in case it doesn’t work, I can unscrew it and the seal for the 21gallon can would stay intact.
    Please give me some guidance or direction if this seems doable, or just forget about it.
    TIA
    Jim

I had Thein baffles on both my 1 HP dust collector and shop vac until a couple years ago when I upgraded to Dust Deputies. Don't think you will have any problem with what you are proposing. I saw a noticeable improvement with the Dust Deputies but if you are on a tight budget the Thein baffle is a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gallo View Post
    Years ago (2008-2010) I made a Thein Top Hat for my Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector. I made it to apec and it took me forever to make it perfect. However, I used a 21 gallon galvanized garbage can to collect the chips, etc and vented the fine dust outside.
    I am getting tired of continually emptying the can, and I’m thinking about converting it to a 55 gallon drum.
    I was thinking of just cutting out a circle of 1/2” mdf and extending the slot into it.
    Are there any concerns that you all would have about doing this. I was just planning on screwing it to the existing bottom, in case it doesn’t work, I can unscrew it and the seal for the 21gallon can would stay intact.
    Please give me some guidance or direction if this seems doable, or just forget about it.
    TIA
    Jim

Over at Phil's site there is much discussion about the thickness of the plate at the slot, if memory serves me correct. Phil invented the baffle, I made it better. Original inventor of the Top Hat design.