Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Keep or Sell Advice.

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I spent some time looking into the problems today as well as reviews of emails I had received from Laguna customer service. One email enclosed instructions for removing everything in the headstock and then reinstalling it after flipping the motor mounting plate upside down. This prompted me to see how this was assembled and I discovered that there was a slight flex in the motor due the mounting bolts being slightly loose. The motor is mounted to a plate. The plate is mounted to the headstock housing with bolts. From the pics I don't see how anything would be changed by turning the plate upside down. I also discovered that the belt tensioning mechanism is attached to one of the mounting bolts via an open slot. The mechanism actually moves on the mounting bolt when the tension handle is turned. Initially, I tightened the bolt too tight and then the mechanism would not move. I loosened the bolt very slightly so that I could release the tension which allowed for the belt to be moved on the pulleys. I've replaced motor belts before. I can tell you that there is no wear whatsoever on this lathe belt. I may have stumbled upon a fix because with the belt on the middle pulley, it ran true and didn't move. The tension mechanism does not move smoothly, but I'm reluctant to mess with it because it has a heavy duty spring in it. The pulleys appear to be lined up okay, but I"ll check further as use the lathe more.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Good to hear.