Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening stainless pocket knife

One item I have added to sharpening knives..stainless or otherwise...

Comes in it's own leather sheath, that also doubles as a handle...

Schrade
    OLD-TIMER
    Honesteel

Found mine at a yard sale.....I think Schrade still sells them?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I've been using SAK's for 30 years. My everyday knife is one of my most frequently used tools. It takes a good edge and holds it. I don't whittle or carve with it and I use the blade for work that most people would use a utility knife for.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Cheaper stainless knives are usually pretty soft but you can get them sharp, almost always. As Luke D mentioned, the issue is often the factory edge which is over-buffed. It can take a lot more honing than you'd expect to establish a good edge initially. On your second attempt you raised a significant burr, which is a sign that you've re-established the edge. You probably didn't quite get there the first time. I love oil stones, but the waterstones will get them plenty sharp as well.

As an aside, I like a coarser finish on pocket knives since they are typically used in a slicing cut. A coarser finish lasts a bit longer with slicing than a highly polished edge. It's the opposite with a push cut, which is why we go to high grits on chisels and planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Opinel's Stainless is pretty good too. Not sure what they use.
    Sandvik 12C27, same as Mora. Makes a great knife, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Cheaper stainless knives are usually pretty soft but you can get them sharp, almost always. As Luke D mentioned, the issue is often the factory edge which is over-buffed. It can take a lot more honing than you'd expect to establish a good edge initially. On your second attempt you raised a significant burr, which is a sign that you've re-established the edge. You probably didn't quite get there the first time. I love oil stones, but the waterstones will get them plenty sharp as well.

As an aside, I like a coarser finish on pocket knives since they are typically used in a slicing cut. A coarser finish lasts a bit longer with slicing than a highly polished edge. It's the opposite with a push cut, which is why we go to high grits on chisels and planes.
    Good point about slicing! I do tend to carve or do wood processing with my pocket knives, so they usually see finer stones, but a somewhat coarser edge is indeed nice for slicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    Sandvik 12C27, same as Mora. Makes a great knife, IMHO.
    No wonder I like them both!