Thread: Screwdrivers for Veritas hand planes?

Screwdrivers for Veritas hand planes?

I have a mix of bevel-up and bevel-down planes made by Lee Valley/Veritas. As such, I have a mix of screw sizes for totes, knobs, chip breakers, etc. Looking for a set of screwdrivers that will fit these screws perfectly. Thanks in advance!
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Lee Valley offers a plane screwdriver, look for item #50K3901; it should do the trick.

Maybe you should sell all the Veritas planes and buy Lie Nielsen. They have screwdrivers for all their plane screws it seems. :-)

Blog Entries
    This must make me a square, using regular screwdrivers that are the correct size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Do they use special screws or something? (I've not owned a Veritas or LN plane, so I don't know)

Don't you have a set of regular screwdrivers already? Do they not fit right?

Maybe you can find a chart of screw sizes and the appropriate sized screw drivers to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I have a mix of bevel-up and bevel-down planes made by Lee Valley/Veritas. As such, I have a mix of screw sizes for totes, knobs, chip breakers, etc. Looking for a set of screwdrivers that will fit these screws perfectly. Thanks in advance!
    The screwdriver I use for the side set screws is this ...

The chipbreaker on the Custom planes uses this ...

Those are the other two that really require something specific. Tightening knobs and handles is such an occasional thing that could could use just about any appropriately sized flat head driver.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I suggest looking at a gunsmithing screwdriver kit. They come with a wide variety of bits, including a wide variety of straight bits in different widths and thickness.

I have a set that has a universal handle so you don't need individual screwdrivers, and if a standard screwdriver in my shop doesn't fit I haven't had one that hasn't been in the gunsmithing kit.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I suggest looking at a gunsmithing screwdriver kit. They come with a wide variety of bits, including a wide variety of straight bits in different widths and thickness.

I have a set that has a universal handle so you don't need individual screwdrivers, and if a standard screwdriver in my shop doesn't fit I haven't had one that hasn't been in the gunsmithing kit.
    - Jason White

I had that one. It's only good for the chip breaker on their "standard" bench planes. Doesn't fit anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    Lee Valley offers a plane screwdriver, look for item #50K3901; it should do the trick.
    - Jason White

I use appropriate thickness washers and file a straight edge. They work like a charm..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This must make me a square, using regular screwdrivers that are the correct size.

jtk
    Not a square, Veritas doesn't use Robertson heads.

OP: I use a cheap precision screwdriver on the rare occasion I need to adjust the set screws, and whatever flat-head is the closest for everything else. The only reason I could see needing more than those for Veritas planes is if you have one of their custom planes or joinery planes that have a hex head on them (3/32", I think).