Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree ID in Pennsylvania

Tree ID in Pennsylvania

My wife and I came across a bunch of these trees while at Valley Forge National Park in eastern Pennsylvania and are trying to figure out what kind of tree it is. What we found interesting was the bark on to top edges of the tree were white. We also noticed they were late to blue as other trees in the area already have fresh leaves on them.

here is a pic of it, if you look you can see the white bark on it. There is another of the same tree on the right side of the train and a bunch in the back ground.

20220423_105846.jpg
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Too lazy to look so you do it.
    Bill D.

https://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvis...2010_Final.pdf

Blog Entries
    looks like a Sycamore to me.
    Best Regards, Maurice

That is a great brochure. I didn't know it existed. Based on the size of the tree and what the brochure is showing as the larger diameter trees, and the images i now found after looking up Sycamore based on what Maurice says, i'd have to say it's the Maxwell Sycamore.

Thank you both for the quick response.

Blog Entries
    The white is a give away. They are lovely trees and that is a very nice one! There is a monster near our favorite bike path. It is in the construction zone for the new I-70 Missouri River bridge. I sure hope it survives the project.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The white is a give away. They are lovely trees and that is a very nice one! There is a monster near our favorite bike path. It is in the construction zone for the new I-70 Missouri River bridge. I sure hope it survives the project.
    It would suck if they take down a big tree for construction. But if they do, I hope it ends up at a saw mill and put to good use, not a compost fieldield or worse a landfill.

Looks like a sycamore maple to me. Trees that come down for road construction get pushed into a pile and burnt in my part of the world. No money spent moving them other than the use of a dozer and maybe an excavator.

It has a name for that particular tree? Was it there when Washington was? The brochure said most trees were cut for firewood and building stuff ?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    American sycamore. They are about the fastest growing trees I've come across.

So I just had a bit of time to compare the tree brochure map to Google Maps and the picture I took.. Well, it turns out, street view actually has the road I was walking along and I found the same tree in google street view and it's in the exact location as #2 on the Brochure. The picture of tree #2, the Maxwell Sycamore, is the exact same tree I took a picture of but of a different angle. If you pan around on the google map below, you will see the same building that is in the brochure image.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0840...7i13312!8i6656

Sycamore and that's a fine specimen. There are some very large ones throughout this area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Blue Gum Eucalyptus tress at the Univ California campus are the tallest hardwood trees in N. America. planted 1882. over 250'.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Here is the monster by the highway. I think it is safe from the construction. I had a wind up steel tape in my pocket to measure the circumference but it is covered with poison ivy so I just checked the diameter. It is over 5 feet.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P7qkFqNpbvE?feature=share
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-24-2022 at 9:41 PM. Reason: working on link
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Blue Gum Eucalyptus tress at the Univ California campus are the tallest hardwood trees in N. America. planted 1882. over 250'.
    Bill D
    I thought it was the redwoods on in california. California State Parks and Rec claim the tallest redwood to be 325 feet tall. Some of those super-tall redwoods however are much older than 140 years like the Blue Gum you mention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    The Sequoias and Redwoods are much older and taller.
    Redwood.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-25-2022 at 8:35 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute