Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweeping compound

Sweeping compound

Is anyone using sweeping compound on their shop floor? I知 thinking about trying some. I sweep my floor at the end of everyday with a push broom. Every morning I use a dust mop before I do anything else. I知 always surprised at how much dust I get if I do a second sweep either with a broom or with the dust mop. I知 wondering if a sweeping compound would pick up more dust and dirt. Actually my dogs bring in a lot of dirt and hair.
    I知 hoping to improve my evening sweep with a sweeping compound and next I hope to add a robo vac to eliminate the morning dust mop.
    I am a bit overboard on having a clean shop.
    The Plane Anarchist

Yes, and it keeps the dust from going airborne. I recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    ...next I hope to add a robo vac to eliminate the morning dust mop.
    Funny, I have 3 Roombas and a Braava Jet in my house (several long-haired dogs - works great for that), and never thought of having one in the workshop. Even with the automatic emptying dust bin, I would think you'd be going through dust bags in no time flat. But would work, to some degree -- especially in getting under tables and such. It would also likely get stuck a lot. And lots and lots of filter cleaning.

I have a timer on my homemade MERV15 filter box, and it runs every 8 hours for 45 minutes, so at least once overnight. That seems to help a lot.

But a really interesting idea. Hmmmm....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

good sweeping compound definitely keeps the airborne dust down

On the robo vac, one thing that you should know is that I keep my shop floor (and really the entire shop) clean, I mean super clean. The only thing the robo vac would get is what the dust mop gets each morning. Attached pic of a typical morning dust mopping.
    I also have installed base boards around some of my equipment to keep the dog toys from getting stuck a hundred times a day. I would likely have to do a few more where the robo would get hung. But I consider all such things as continued focus the overal direction I want in my shop, clean and organized.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

one of my first Jobs out of high school was working for a cabinet maker; a one horse outfit. I remember him saying the secret to making fine furniture is a "clean floor and a sharp pencil"....now that I think about it that's all I did was sharpen pencils and sweep up after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Funny, I have 3 Roombas and a Braava Jet in my house (several long-haired dogs - works great for that), and never thought of having one in the workshop. Even with the automatic emptying dust bin, I would think you'd be going through dust bags in no time flat. But would work, to some degree -- especially in getting under tables and such. It would also likely get stuck a lot. And lots and lots of filter cleaning.
    We have two Shark systems in the house; Monk on the first floor and Natalie on the second floor. I'd actually consider a beefier robot for the new shop building if I can arrange things to make that practical. It wouldn't be for major cleanup, but to keep the floor "more dust free" after normal cleanup, it might be a winner. I know there are heavy duty robots available for this kind of purpose. They have more capacity and are more ruggedly built. I'm sure the cost is "more rugged", too...

-

Leigh, that epoxy floor really lends itself to "really clean".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    We have two Shark systems in the house; Monk on the first floor and Natalie on the second floor. I'd actually consider a beefier robot for the new shop building if I can arrange things to make that practical. It wouldn't be for major cleanup, but to keep the floor "more dust free" after normal cleanup, it might be a winner. I know there are heavy duty robots available for this kind of purpose. They have more capacity and are more ruggedly built. I'm sure the cost is "more rugged", too...

-

Leigh, that epoxy floor really lends itself to "really clean".
    Oh I loved Monk!!! I really miss that show. I picked boring names for mine, like "kitchen". Missed out on that one. Are you getting Sharona for the workshop??

And Leigh, as much as I vacuum my shop floor, and have superb air cleaners/dust collector, I can't approach that level of cleanliness. I'm in awe.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Oh I loved Monk!!! I really miss that show. I picked boring names for mine, like "kitchen". Missed out on that one. Are you getting Sharona for the workshop??
    Professor Dr. SWMBO and our older daughter were fans of the Monk show. But that's a great idea should I get a robot for the shop someday.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Professor Dr. SWMBO and our older daughter were fans of the Monk show. But that's a great idea should I get a robot for the shop someday.
    Or Disher for the kitchen.

It takes a lot of sweeping compound to clean up joint compound dust.

Or Disher for the kitchen.
    Monk actually "lives" in the kitchen area.... ...central to the first floor task list and...there's an actual power outlet available. This house was built in 1993 which predates "more generous" distribution of outlets in houses. Same applies to Natalie upstairs...the singular spot in the whole upstairs she could go is on one wall in our master bedroom. My shop will have a bit more "locational opportunities" should I decide to hire a robut for cleanup help.

-----
    Just to stay on the OP's topic, no, I've never used sweeping compound but I can appreciate that it does have benefits. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point.
    --

The Makita is an interesting option. The reviews I read don稚 sound all that encouraging though. Even used they are expensive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

One of the folks I follow on the 'Tube has the Makita. It works fine, but it sometimes seems to lack some basic intelligence and "gets stuck" in places sometimes for him that are wide open without any obstructions. It's unfortunately somewhat unique in the marketplace right now as iRobot seems to have discontinued their "Dirt Dog" heavy duty version.
    --

I would worry about robot vacs sucking up stray nuts and bolts that fall and aren't seen. But I would love for a heavy duty one for my workshop.

What exactly is sweeping compound? I think it would be a non-starter for me with my raised access floor, and the small gaps between some of the tiles. Seems like some might drop into the gaps, onto the concrete floor below.