Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweeping compound

I order 10lbs of clean sweep to try.
    as a kid I vividly remember the local small time grocery store run by my grandfather’s cousin. “Trig” would sweep the wood floors with a red compound that had a very distinctive smell. I hope the stuff I ordered will smell the same. But I doubt it. It was probably outlawed long ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I would worry about robot vacs sucking up stray nuts and bolts that fall and aren't seen. But I would love for a heavy duty one for my workshop.

What exactly is sweeping compound? I think it would be a non-starter for me with my raised access floor, and the small gaps between some of the tiles. Seems like some might drop into the gaps, onto the concrete floor below.
    Sweeping compound looks like a mix of sawdust and ground up pencil erasers with a very light oil coating of some sort. It's usually red, you sprinkle a little on the floor prior to sweeping. It doesn't take much, a 50# box lasts a long time. It does a fantastic job of decreasing dust as you sweep, seems to stick the finest dust together so it's easier to wrangle, and leaves the floor looking better. Its pretty impressive stuff. We use it a lot when cleaning up construction messes, highly recommended. Not expensive for how long it lasts.

I find this whole thread hilarious. I was putting sweeping compound into the same category as board stretchers, left handed screw drivers, canned air, and automatic nut strippers. Now I'm thinking about getting some if I ever get a smooth concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I order 10lbs of clean sweep to try.
    as a kid I vividly remember the local small time grocery store run by my grandfather’s cousin. “Trig” would sweep the wood floors with a red compound that had a very distinctive smell. I hope the stuff I ordered will smell the same. But I doubt it. It was probably outlawed long ago.
    The stuff we get still has the same distinctive smell that I've always know, good chance it's the same still.

anyone use a leaf blower?...I use an electric Homelite

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    Actually, in my current temporary shop which is technically a "garage"...I do use my 20v blower to evacuate the small stuff outside. There's actually a smaller version of the 20v Bauer tool I use that has "shop" in the name.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post

Yes, but I find it traps things in the corners next to the garage door.

I have a very sensitive ego and this thread is making me feel inadequate, dirty and a slacker. And if my spouse sees it the resultant discussion will not be pretty. If Leigh’s level of cleanliness becomes known as an attainable possibility the rest of us mere mortal woodworkers will be in a heap of trouble. I don’t think sweeping compound will solve it

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I have a very sensitive ego and this thread is making me feel inadequate, dirty and a slacker. And if my spouse sees it the resultant discussion will not be pretty. If Leigh’s level of cleanliness becomes known as an attainable possibility the rest of us mere mortal woodworkers will be in a heap of trouble. I don’t think sweeping compound will solve it
    +1,000,000
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.