Thread: Looking For 8' Picnic Table Plan

Looking For 8' Picnic Table Plan

I have never built a project from a plan. One of the kids is looking for me to make an 8' picnic table. I imagine that all of the design challenges have already been solved by others, so there is no need to try to reinvent the design.

Can anyone recommend a plan that that they like? I am happy to pay for the plan.

Thanks - Bob

I've built this one and was happy with it, but it's not 8'. Might need some additional support for the seats at 8'.

I also bought this plan which I think is pretty cool, but I have not built it yet. I think this could be built at 8' without any additional support.

Thank so very much Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    I have never built a project from a plan. One of the kids is looking for me to make an 8' picnic table. I imagine that all of the design challenges have already been solved by others, so there is no need to try to reinvent the design.

Can anyone recommend a plan that that they like? I am happy to pay for the plan.

Thanks - Bob

Blog Entries
    I built this one from Wood Magazine plans. My daughter is very happy with it.
    IMG_2047.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No plans, but the first building job I ever had was to build 200 picnic tables. I was given a helper, a 9" radial arm saw with a dull bent blade, wooden handled hammers, boxes of nails, and a truckload of 2x6's. The only thing I remember about the design was the seat height was 19", the table top 29" high, and the legs had to go out to be directly under the outside edge of the seats on the sides. I was 15.

I built a form to hold the parts to put the pieces for the ends together. We'd flip one upside down in a pickup to move it.

Blog Entries
    Mine sounds like Tom King's, although I have only made a few. 2 x 6's do work well like Gary's first one. Having the seats detached is seeming like a good idea these days.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post

Thanks - Bob
    I’ve seen a lot of falls as people stepped over the integral benches. Sometimes one slim agile person has to get up so that a fat one can get
    out, or in. I think that the common plan was probably just a way to make it difficult to steal the road side stuff. Rustic table is okay ,but
    chairs are needed.