Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpening Twist Drills

I have a Drill Doctor that I got probably 20 years ago and haven't used for at least ten. Generally I can touch up anything over about 1/4" on a bench grinder or belt sander, but it does take practice. I generally just buy new bits in quantity to keep on hand, up to 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Thinglum View Post
    I have many old cement bits 1/8" to 1/2" which need to be sharpened. Has anyone used the 250 to sharpen them? As far as split point, I have very few.
    With the need to replace the grinding wheel on my 250, I think it is time to upgrade to a newer version of the Drill Doctor, or another sharpener.
    I agree with Dave the $110 upgrade over a new diamond wheel is a good value.
    Thanks guys, for your imput.
    Masonary bits aren't supposed to be sharp, they are in essence little jackhammers with an auger attached to clear dust. Once the hardened edge wears off, toss them.

faced with a dull 1/2' that had slowly dulled I tried the green wheel. When you are working and need to get stuff done going to get another bit or ordering one is useless.The sharpened bit worked great, If I remember correctly it also drilled through some 2 x 6 that it would not have done even if a new one, then into the concrete from there. Likely using lag bolts or those expansion inserts at the time.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-30-2022 at 2:37 PM.