Thread: Old Tormek SuperGrind 2000 VS T8?

Old Tormek SuperGrind 2000 VS T8?

I have an old SG 2000 and would like to know if upgrading to the T8 would be worth my while?

Any jig I have bought recently is backwardly compatible with the 2000. Given that, I would think that all accessories are backwardly compatible either direct from the box or with some additional hardware from Tormek. I doubt that you can do anything different with the T8 than with the old 2000, but I don't know that for sure. I began turning several years ago and found that the Tormek had some newer designs of old jigs which are much improved. Depending on what you sharpen with your old Tormek, you might find that just getting a few of the upgraded accessories would improve your results. True, the jigs are expensive but a lot less expensive than a new Tormek.

Tormek has a Youtube video that reviews the different machines the have produced. The video review covers the forward and backward compatibility of components.

A real upgrade to the 2000 is a half-speed 8" bench grinder with CBN wheels, and the Tormek BGM-100 tool rest (to use all the Tormek jigs).

This is cool grinding and far, far faster than the snail speed of the Tormek. The main reason for a Tormek was that it is a wet grinder and this protects the steel from burning. However, CBN wheels do this today well-enough to forgo the wet grind. Tormek have tried to rise to the challenge by offering diamond and CBN wheels. These are like trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Here is mine with 80- and 180 grit CBN wheels ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think the changes that would make any difference are the adjustability of the guide rod, and stainless steel shaft. The only thing I'd worry about is if the shaft on the 2000 is rusting. You can buy just those parts if you feel the need.

Derek, What kind of finish do you get on chisels or plane irons off your CBN rig? What grit wheels do you have? I just bought a CBN wheel for my high speed bench grinder for general purpose grinding but I would consider your set up to replace my Tormek if I could achieve a similar finish as the Tormek.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    A real upgrade to the 2000 is a half-speed 8" bench grinder with CBN wheels, and the Tormek BGM-100 tool rest (to use all the Tormek jigs).

This is cool grinding and far, far faster than the snail speed of the Tormek. The main reason for a Tormek was that it is a wet grinder and this protects the steel from burning. However, CBN wheels do this today well-enough to forgo the wet grind. Tormek have tried to rise to the challenge by offering diamond and CBN wheels. These are like trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Here is mine with 80- and 180 grit CBN wheels ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The Plane Anarchist

It depends on how you use your Tormek and what exactly you're using it for. I know Derek is NOT sharpening on his slow speed grinder with CBN wheels and I don't think the Tormek is that amazing at sharpening either. Although some people do sharpen straight off the Tormek and have fine results doing so. Not to speak for Derek but I believe his slow speed grinder setup is for grinding therefore the surface finish doesn't matter, speed does. As Derek said the Tormek is sooo slow at this although I still use mine with a 80 grit CBN wheel to do so. Some day I would like to get the setup Derek has but for now the Tormek is serving the purpose although much slower than I'd like.

As for upgrading to the newer version of Tormek, I think that's a huge investment for very little gain. I personally would just stick with the original 2000 and maybe eventually create a fast speed grinding setup like what Derek has posted. But again, it depends on how you use the Tormek. If you're going from the stone wheel to the buffing wheel and then to the wood maybe you need the Tormek.

I use my Tormek to establish new grind angles for planes, chisels and knives. I use a knife angle calculator to establish angles to a fairly precise degree, then finish on guided knife sharpeners. I am now finding out that the T8 body is more precisely manufactured than the SG was, so it's easier to get the proper measurements to apply to the angle calculator. Hope this makes sense. Anyways, if I do move up, I'll get the Custom version, which is bare bones and much cheaper and I can use the old one, set up for stropping and grinding with the old stone wheel. I have a diamond wheel I can use on the Custom version. For plane blades and chisels, I finish up by hand sharpening on ceramic stones.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't kept up with the Tormek current marketing. I've been waiting for them to make a reversing one. The Custom setup where you don't have to buy the old style wheel may be enough to make me decide.

I use a CBN wheel on a grinder too, but when we're working inside an old museum house, the dry grinding makes too much mess, so I don't use it there. I've had a space on my sharpening sink waiting for another wet grinder. It has a 92" stainless countertop, and we drain the sink straight outside onto a pile of sawdust.

I do use my Tormek to remove chips in a chisel or plane iron then I go to ta 1000 grit diamond then the Shapton 16000 for the final sharpen. I've been thinking about getting a diamond wheel for the Tormek if it would significantly speed up the process. If Derek's set up provided a good enough finish to take to a 1000 grit stone then I might just go that route instead and sell the Tormek.
    The Plane Anarchist

Simply put, no. Most of what you can do on a new Tormek, you can do on an older one. You may have to update your jigs or maybe get a new wheel, if worn down. One thing I've done on my T-8 was put tape on the drive spindle, so it turns up the rotational speed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Derek, What kind of finish do you get on chisels or plane irons off your CBN rig? What grit wheels do you have? I just bought a CBN wheel for my high speed bench grinder for general purpose grinding but I would consider your set up to replace my Tormek if I could achieve a similar finish as the Tormek.
    Leigh, I’ve always considered the Tormek to be a grinder and not a sharpening system. Yes, one can use it as such, but the results are not good enough for my work (I build furniture and use hand tools for joinery and finishing). I am a enthusiastic user of hand plans and chisels. Consequently, when I used the Tormek (I had the 2000 for several years), the wheel was left at the coarsest grit, which was 220 grit. The wheel can be resurfaced to 1000 grit, as preparation for the leather strop. For years I argued that all one was doing was polishing a serrated edge. My waterstones begin at 1000.

The CBN wheel I use the most is 180 grit. The finish off this is very close to that off the 220 grit Tormek surface. What is important with both the Tormek and my set up (using the Tormek BGM-100 guide) is that the grind leaves a straight edge. This, plus grinding to- or up to the edge of the blade, which is possible because both grind with minimal heat, is that one can go to a waterstone and create a clean bevel in one or two strokes.

There is an article on my website on the system I use. While CBN wheels had been around for a long time before I discovered them for myself, they were known to turners and not flat woodworkers. I think that I was probably the first to write about these wheels, mentioning them on a few forums. It still took a little while to take off as they were not inexpensive, but now many recognise that they wear so slowly, that this brings a host of advantages. One is that your set ups do not need to be adjusted for a grinding wheel wearing smaller.

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ningSetUp.html

This is a primary bevel straight off the 180 grit wheel ….

And at around 10000 grit …

While speed of sharpening is so important to me, speed of re-sharpening is even more so. Creating such small .. micro … bevels means that there is minimal steel to hone, and this speeds up the process.

Regards from Perth

Derek

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Leigh, I’ve always considered the Tormek to be a grinder and not a sharpening system. Yes, one can use it as such, but the results are not good enough for my work (I build furniture and use hand tools for joinery and finishing). I am a enthusiastic user of hand plans and chisels. Consequently, when I used the Tormek (I had the 2000 for several years), the wheel was left at the coarsest grit, which was 220 grit. The wheel can be resurfaced to 1000 grit, as preparation for the leather strop. For years I argued that all one was doing was polishing a serrated edge. My waterstones begin at 1000.

The CBN wheel I use the most is 180 grit. The finish off this is very close to that off the 220 grit Tormek surface. What is important with both the Tormek and my set up (using the Tormek BGM-100 guide) is that the grind leaves a straight edge. This, plus grinding to- or up to the edge of the blade, which is possible because both grind with minimal heat, is that one can go to a waterstone and create a clean bevel in one or two strokes.

There is an article on my website on the system I use. While CBN wheels had been around for a long time before I discovered them for myself, they were known to turners and not flat woodworkers. I think that I was probably the first to write about these wheels, mentioning them on a few forums. It still took a little while to take off as they were not inexpensive, but now many recognise that they wear so slowly, that this brings a host of advantages. One is that your set ups do not need to be adjusted for a grinding wheel wearing smaller.

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ningSetUp.html

This is a primary bevel straight off the 180 grit wheel ….

And at around 10000 grit …

While speed of sharpening is so important to me, speed of re-sharpening is even more so. Creating such small .. micro … bevels means that there is minimal steel to hone, and this speeds up the process.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The Plane Anarchist