Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Delta drill press, recent acquisition

Vintage Delta drill press, recent acquisition

I got, what I think, is a deal of a lifetime yesterday - a vintage Delta DP220, in dirty, but very good, running condition. I've been looking around for one for a while, a found it at an estate sale. I paid so little for it, I kind of feel guilty. I'm having a hard time getting an exact year on it. The information on VintageMachinery has serial number lists starting in 1942 or 1943 - those numbers begin with "13-xxxx". My serial number is "10-9204". My guess is its a 1940? That guess is based on a DP220 I saw on another forum that the owner claimed was a 1939 - with a serial number beginning "5-xxxx", and another the owner claimed was a 1940 with number beginning "10-xxxx", just like mine. My question is how these owners found the date of their pre-1942 machine. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to verify.

Secondly, aside from a thorough cleaning, I plan on replacing the 2 wire power cord with a modern, grounded, cord. Anything else I should look for or consider doing? Does anyone know of a source for a drill press task light of similar vintage? This one does not have one.

Thanks for reading!

OWWM is the place to find everything from information to parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McGonigle View Post
    I got, what I think, is a deal of a lifetime yesterday - a vintage Delta DP220, in dirty, but very good, running condition. I've been looking around for one for a while, a found it at an estate sale. I paid so little for it, I kind of feel guilty. I'm having a hard time getting an exact year on it. The information on VintageMachinery has serial number lists starting in 1942 or 1943 - those numbers begin with "13-xxxx". My serial number is "10-9204". My guess is its a 1940? That guess is based on a DP220 I saw on another forum that the owner claimed was a 1939 - with a serial number beginning "5-xxxx", and another the owner claimed was a 1940 with number beginning "10-xxxx", just like mine. My question is how these owners found the date of their pre-1942 machine. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to verify.

Secondly, aside from a thorough cleaning, I plan on replacing the 2 wire power cord with a modern, grounded, cord. Anything else I should look for or consider doing? Does anyone know of a source for a drill press task light of similar vintage? This one does not have one.

Thanks for reading!
    Photos please.
    David

E8BCB839-046F-472E-BC25-AAFCBBCD10E1.jpg3D8A15BD-D193-4B35-91DB-93B29614CCD2.jpg72E2E1A6-5BE0-42C8-A885-299CB6A98B2D.jpg
    I haven’t touched it since I placed it in the garage. Very dirty, I think it will clean up very well.

Blog Entries
    I converted a Non vintage desk lamp for mine. An old one is on my list for the flea market and antique mall. Congratulations, That is a nice tool!
    Best Regards, Maurice

You might consider changing the bearings on the quill and in the motor. Here is a source for old Delta DP parts:

http://www.hammerscale.com

E8BCB839-046F-472E-BC25-AAFCBBCD10E1.jpg3D8A15BD-D193-4B35-91DB-93B29614CCD2.jpg72E2E1A6-5BE0-42C8-A885-299CB6A98B2D.jpg
    I haven’t touched it since I placed it in the garage. Very dirty, I think it will clean up very well.

Dan - thanks for the photos! That looks like a great vintage drill press in very good shape. I think you could look around on Ebay for a vintage looking task/work lamp to match your new tool. Great find!
    David

Amazing find. Do you have any idea how rare it is to find a drill press table without at least one "extra" hole drilled in it? It also has a Quill lock, another under rated feature that has become all but extinct. From what I have read and heard a genuine Delta light would cost more than the drill press. Enjoy it.

My version of dirty must be different than yours ! That is a really nice looking machine. like Walter says a table without "the ring of shame" is amazing for the age of that machine. Did this come from a single user who owned it for most of his life ? Does not look like it was really used very much, if at all. Congratulations on finding a great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    You might consider changing the bearings on the quill and in the motor. Here is a source for old Delta DP parts:

http://www.hammerscale.com

thats a great site, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    Amazing find. Do you have any idea how rare it is to find a drill press table without at least one "extra" hole drilled in it? It also has a Quill lock, another under rated feature that has become all but extinct. From what I have read and heard a genuine Delta light would cost more than the drill press. Enjoy it.
    I found a genuine Delta task light on ebay for something like $130. It was just the bulb housing though, no gooseneck.

I had a benchtop version of that. Bought it from my dad, and eventually gave it to my son. New in 1954, from Western Auto, I believe.

I got a metal reading lamp with a clamp, meant for attaching to a bed headboard, years ago. Took the clamp off, made a simple bracket that attached to that tab you show in your pic. Looked pretty factory for ten bucks. I think you can still find those lamps new. Wired it to the switch.

Did the same thing with my Delta 14" bandsaws years ago.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I found a genuine Delta task light on ebay for something like $130. It was just the bulb housing though, no gooseneck.
    Be aware that the Delta task light of that era was mounted with an articulating arm, not a gooseneck.
    72211A51-8611-43EB-8C67-EE58A977B8D9.jpeg
    A gooseneck does offer a lot more flexibility in positioning, of course.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Mine is a smaller version. It came from a Homecraft table saw, jointer, drill press combo. I like the looks of the OEM light. My granny gear is rather goofy but it works great.

IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0499.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-25-2022 at 10:47 AM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

Nice, I take it yours is a single phase? I have a 1942-ish but at some point it had a 3 phase motor put on it. I put a VFD on it and it's great.

What's the SN tag material?

I'm using a HFT lamp for now, but do plan on doing something nicer. I've been going through and stripping off some horrid green paint when I have time for some machinery grey.