Thread: Better handles for Tidaycats litter buckets

Better handles for Tidaycats litter buckets

When re-used as buckets for hauling dirt, the handles on Tidycats plastic litter buckets eventually break off.
    https://www.target.com/p/purina-tidy...&adgroup=83-10
    What's a good way to attach a new handle?

One thought is a rope harness that would go around the bottom of the bucket instead of being attached to the sides.

Recycle it and buy a new one, not worth it. I have a dozen of them I use occasionally, and have started recycling them since they tend to multiply.

I could think of a half dozen different ways to attach a handle, but I am not sure it would be worth it. I'm all for reusing things, but five gallon buckets seem like a better option. If you look around a bit you could probably find free five gallon buckets. Restaurants tend to get ingredients in five gallon buckets and might have some in the kitchen they want rid of. Unfortunately, the kitty litter buckets are probably not recyclable due to the color. Most often only white and clear plastic is recyclable.

Don't overthink this.

Drill a 1/2" to 1" hole in the side and run a rope through.
    Tie a big knot on the rope so it won't pull out of the hole.

Do the same to the other end of the rope and you have a new rope handle.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Those plastic buckets are like the old glass baby food jars. At first you save them thinking that they are a bonus but after a point in time you end up with too many and they take up too much room when recycling. They are built with a short lifespan in mind. The sheetrock/ paint buckets I collected when building my house have lasted while none of the Tidy Cats buckets have. Now I buy a different brand that comes in a 40lb(ish package). There's 4 bags in each package so just plastic bags to recycle and a little cardboard.

My first attempt uses two lengths of polyester rope. Their ends are tied together and the cylindrical part of the original handle is duck taped over the knot. This looks crude but it makes a very comfortable handle. If the handle is made long enough to hang down the side of the bucket then it tends to catch on the ribs when you pull it up, so I made this example so the rope handle doesn't quite hang over the side.

I used a Dremel type rotary tool to cut a passage for the ropes in the side of the bucket.Bucket-3.jpgBucket-2.jpgBucket-1.jpg