Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a mobile base for my planar, buy or build one?

Question Need a mobile base for my planar, buy or build one?

I’ve been looking at all the options and lots of reviews have been commenting about issues with the casters. I’ve looked at the Jet, HTC, Bora, Grizzly, and so many others. All the machinery I got so far already were mobile, or converted in some way or form so I don’t have a lot of experience with what would be good or not. I do like the Bora base, I like it’s locking mechanism idea, but in the back of my mind these are fairly simple designs, I’m tempted to take a crack at building one myself. I have Zambus casters on my bandsaw and they are fantastic, so was almost thinking using those. They’re expensive but oh so sweet. Plus got a new welder as I have been learning to do that as well, buddy of mine does it for a living so he’s teaching me. So build one or buy one? Benefits, just put it together and I’m good to go or build one and have it do exactly what I want, but just more time consuming. It’s a Jet 20” planar, 650ish lbs, the only concern would be making it strong enough. Figured maybe I would need to do some math, or just over engineer it. My friend would be available for the welding, so the welds would be done right. Just seems like a good opportunity to learn. But like I’ve posted before, I work too much, my free time is limited, I’m still organizing the garage and getting it setup. Would the Bora be suitable? Almost hate to add another project to the king list. Got the tools but still working 14-17 hour days to make sure I have enough for materials lol. So with that regard would something like a Bora be suitable, could the casters be swapped if they didn’t work for me? Anyone have suggestions for something else for similar size planer or equipment 650lbs or heavier? Thanks!

Definitely build your own.

I did a long reply for this, but it got eaten. I made my own base for a tool I could not find a stand for, and it was an easy project. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

I have built several mobile bases using Zambus clones(Great Lakes Casters IIRC). Your pro welder friend can easily guide you and may have access to scrap metal as well. I used 3" x 1/4" angle and just made a frame-dropped in 3/4" ply for my 900# 20" Griz. I used short pieces of the angle welded to the outside for the casters. Can send pics if helpful.

I built one out of 2"x 12" - 26 inches - yellow pine - glued 2 pieces together , with 6 inch 1/2" steel dowels inserted. Used some scraps of 3/4" Red Oak ply underneath , glued down heavy & screwed into place. Some excellent casters = all about $65 total. Going to throw Grizzly/Shop Fox base into recycle bin & build another of same. Amazing how woodworkers just order those cheap garbage made in China mobile bases ( Guilty of that myself) . No more of that allowed here.

I have shopfox and bora. I use the bora for heavier machines, but the shopfox is rated for 1200lbs and is $118.00 on Amazon. I can make way more money building cabinets in the time it would take me to build my own mobile base.

This guy has the simplest, most elegant shop-built solution I've seen -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei3ADzfbxBE
    Howard Rosenberg

Make a semi live skid design with a tow bar.

Make it out of 1 1/2” X 1 1/2” angle, build it so the base is 1/4” above the floor, far better than casters….Rod

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....31-Mobile-Base
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 04-22-2022 at 7:33 AM.

Once you use a single point/pedal lever design, you'll not go back, bit of a PITA having to jack from four points.
    Note the pedal change
    1 didn't have any really heavy gauge 40mm box, so strip was welded onto pedal to make it blunter.
    2 More area on the underside to stop the pedal going beyond 90.
    Either is a recipe that'll get stuck and cut your boots!
    You can use a wrecking bar to sort that out, bit awkward, and especially so if the machine is against the wall.
    base v2.JPG
    https://i.postimg.cc/tRKKSQc1/base-v2.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 04-22-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    A pallet jack works better than the mobile bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    A pallet jack works better than the mobile bases.
    Maybe for you, I've got too many reasons why I wouldn't want one.

30 years ago I built the base for my 15" planer with 4" locking casters. In that 30 years I don't believe the casters have been locked once. The weight of the machine with the rubber covered cast iron casters is more than enough to keep it in place, no need to lock the wheels too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Maybe for you, I've got too many reasons why I wouldn't want one.
    Other than storage when not in use I can't think of one. Overall they are cheaper assuming you have more than one machine you want to move. Also better weight capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Other than storage when not in use I can't think of one. Overall they are cheaper assuming you have more than one machine you want to move. Also better weight capacity.
    You obviously have more space than I do Jared, not that putting it away would be the big issue,
    its the fact that I'd have to move everything else to get space to move something, and even then pallet jack not quite as nifty/easy to move.

I ain't so tall either, so don't want machines too high.
    another part of that is my bandsaw is already fairly tall, and in a rented place headroom being a factor for future consideration.

Living in the wild west of machine rustlers, I don't wanna make it easy for someone to wheel my kit away, so really cheap casters will hopefully break
    if wheeled over that concrete I put around the door

Weight capacity isn't a concern for me, don't think something a half tonne would suit me, transport, manoeuvrability (within the space I have) electrics
    and doesn't fit in with being quiet as possible for most of the time needs.

Probably could think of other reasons, but likely none of the above are of any relevance to most folk.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    30 years ago I built the base for my 15" planer with 4" locking casters. In that 30 years I don't believe the casters have been locked once. The weight of the machine with the rubber covered cast iron casters is more than enough to keep it in place, no need to lock the wheels too.
    I've made several mobile bases for various machines over the years and had not had a need to use the locks on those with locking wheels on them. Only reason I bought the locking wheels I have is I bought them on sale at a price for less than the nonlocking ones.