Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a mobile base for my planar, buy or build one?

A planer mobile base is a good one to have all swivel casters on. When we run a batch of a bunch of pieces, we stack them outside the outfeed, spin the planer around in place, and run any that need more passes the other way, as many times as needed. Since a planer pulls the pieces through itself, if it will stay in place without locking the casters, there is no need to lock them.

I have a Shop Fox under my 20" Grizzly. I think it weighs around 800lbs. I could have built something but not for the price of the SF (when I bought them). But making something out of wood would of made it higher than I wanted. Making something out of steel just means one more project when I already have too many projects. Unfortunately buying steel is a couple hour process because nothing is close. Finding good casters is also an issue. I haven't had good luck with Harbor Freight casters and that's about the only thing local. Casters are on of those things that you kind of need to hold in your hand to get a feel for the quality IMO.

Make your own

I think Rod’s plan is the best design. If you can do a nice clean job cutting the angle iron and get a good fit up it will be a good beginner welding process for you. Try to have your friend assist with the machine set-up. If you plan on getting into the metal a bit more I’d suggest picking up the Evolution 14” chop saw.

I have used all three methods at one time or another. For my Hitachi planer, which is short, I built a mobile base using beams left over from a building project. I used heavy duty commercial casters. The planer now has a good working height and is easily maneuverable. Back when I first opened my shop in the early '80's, we didn't have the selection of mobile bases that we have now. Based on the size of that first shop, all my machinery had to be mobile. I had a local welder fabricate bases based on my designs. I did not skimp with the casters and wheels and went with American made industrial quality ones. While many of those machines have been replaced, I still use those bases. Recently I was in need of a a couple of mobile bases and went with Bora heavy duty bases. They are well made and working out quite well. A couple of years ago, I needed to make my Northfield jointer, which weighs in excess of 1600 lbs., mobile. Because of its weight and unusually shaped base, I again had to have a local welder fabricate a mobile base.

Designing and fabricating or having someone fabricate a mobile base can be rewarding. However, if time and/or cost is a factor, and if one of the several mobile base manufacturers have a unit that will meet your needs, I would go that route.

If it's going to be movable, I want it to move easily. I've been less than satisfied with any mobile base I've bought. These are the casters I just bought for the base for a 24" bandsaw. It will be very simple, and keep the machine close to the floor. I'm lucky that there was a sizeable pile of metal here when we bought this place, otherwise, 5" angle iron would raise the price probably beyond buying it for this use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are the ones I put under a welder cart, and I just ordered another similar set for a drill press in the metal/mechanic shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The welder can be moved anywhere with two fingers, and just locking one caster will keep it in place good enough to be used, or parked.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-24-2022 at 12:36 PM.