Thread: Thursday Morning, on the hunt for rust

Thursday Morning, on the hunt for rust

Looks like I found some...despite the rain..
    Thursday Rust Hunt, whatamess.JPG
    Block plane seems to be a Stanley #60-1/2
    Thursday Runt Hunt, the good stuff.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 61A.....an 1/8" Sash mortise chisel.....3" Irwin Expansive bit, and a Countersink bit for a brace. 6' folding ruler, a Ball peen head in search of the handle I have in my shop, and 2 c clamps...both "Made in USA"

Counting Lunch, was just over $30 for today....

Shouldn't take too much to get that plane up and running ..
    Thursday Runt Hunt, sole.JPG
    Blade has a nick...Looks like the cap iron had been nickel plated....same with the front knob...plane is 6" long, 1-3/4" wide. Was just sitting out on a table IN the rain....felt sorry for it...

Apparently, there is a way to split the countersink bit, and sharpen it back up....will see..

First good sales of the 2022 season...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Doesn't take all that long to rehab these tools..
    Thursday Rehab 6.jpg
    Already had a handle...just cleaned up the head..
    .Thursday Rehab 1.jpg
    Turned out this bit was still fairly sharp..
    Thursday Rehab 1B.jpg
    gave it a test drive...
    Thursday Rehab 7.jpg
    Had to take this apart, clean all the rust out. Cutter has been sharpened up...CLARK Con VAL Co

Thursday Rehab 2.jpg
    Stanley No. 60-1/2....hardest part was sharpening the iron, had a big chip missing...
    Thursday Rehab 3.jpg
    One of the 2 c clamps....the other took a little longer...to straighten out the rod..
    Thursday Rehab 4.jpg

Ruler got it's spring joints oiled up. Haven't touched the chisel, yet...may just oil up the Millers Falls No. 61A...

Not too bad of a day?

Friday Morning...pickings were a bit skimpy....turned me nose up at a Handyman All Steel Block plane...and a $9.50 Generic Eggbeater drill....spent a grand total of $5..
    sandusky razee, side.JPG
    That I at first thought was a Coffin Smoother...when viewed front the front..
    sandusky razee, O, Cantz Tool Co..JPG
    Picked it up ( mistake?) only to find it was a Razee pattern...
    sandusky razee, custom grip.JPG
    with a "custom grip". Iron and chipbreaker are from Sandusky Tool Co. Warranted, Cast Steel.
    sandusky razee, sole.JPG

Name on the front...appears to be "O. CRANTZ TOOL Co."

Iron has since been cleaned and sharpened...still need to flatten the sole....not sure about the top of the toe....it is a bit flaky...

One other place had a package of Rotozip drill bits 1/8"....might be 20 bits in the bag...$1

Kind of skimpy, today....no rain, though.

Regarding the 61A

FWIW, a few weeks back I rehabbed a Millers Falls 61A "Yankee" style screwdriver.
    I had to un-bend the spiral shaft, clean up surface rust, lubricate moving parts, and refinish the handle, but after all that, it was a very smooth working tool.
    In my toolbox was an old yankee bit that I think came from my grandfather that fit into the chuck and it all worked nicely.

To bring it up to the 21st Century, I ordered a hex adapter bit from Highland Woodworking:
    YankeeHexAdapter.jpg
    With it, this tool would now be able to use any standard hex driver or drill bits - nice!

Unfortunately, when I put the new adapter bit into the chuck, the knurled ring around the chuck no longer spun freely - it would bind up with each revolution.
    Whereas with the old screwdriver bit in the chuck, everything worked fine.

Eventually I figured out the shank on the adapter bit was not long enough (by measuring how far into the chuck the old screwdriver bit extended).
    So...I put a cutoff wheel on my Dremel and carefully trimmed off about 1/16" from the bottom "shoulder" of the chrome cylinder that holds the hex bit, thereby making the shank longer.
    That worked.

So, I wonder if I got a part that was just out-of-spec, or is the adapter just not designed for the Millers Falls tool?

A good haul as usual Stephen...
    Jerry

Next Hunt....$6 for an Electric chainsaw..
    Garage sale items, saw, drill.JPG
    Remington 16" bar....Have since went out and bought the bottle of Bar & Chain Oil....Have plugged the saw in....runs well enough...just a bit loud...it IS a chainsaw, afterall..

This morning's haul?
    Yard Sale Finds, .25.JPG
    $3.25 for these 4 items....the drill index was the $0.25....the two c clamps are 3" size....

As for that saw...26" long, with a hanger hole in the toe. Teeth are 5-1/2ppi. And NOT induction hardened, means I can go back and sharpen.....Brand name on the medallion?
    Yard Sale Finds, Nicholson,USA, Rip saw.JPG
    Nicholson USA. $1 saw....might be a keeper? Will see, once I clean it up a bit....

Did more driving around than actually buying anything....not to bad of a day?

Saw has been cleaned up. Plate did have a slight curve to it..
    Yard Sale Finds, test drive.JPG
    Haven't touched them "choppers", yet...
    Yard Sale Finds, BIG teeth.JPG
    Saw tends to drift to the right..
    Yard Sale Finds, drift a bit.JPG
    Figure I can stone the right side of the teeth...and it should work just fine....might even sharpen them teeth?