Thread: mission bed design

mission bed design

Planning on building something similar to this design in a platform bed. Two questions.

1. I see the three panels across the head/foot boards. On a queen size bed would two panels look better than three shorter ones?

bed design.jpg

2. My dresser and night stands have a half moon built into them on the back of the top and bottom of the front stretcher. Any suggestions on how to incorporate that into this bed design? Thanks Brian

top 1st finish coat.jpg
    Brian

1. I see the three panels across the head/foot boards. On a queen size bed would two panels look better than three shorter ones?

What? Three shorter ones? Are you considering two panels, one above the other? That is, the divider between the panels would be horizontal? That looks odd in my minds eye.

2. My dresser and night stands have a half moon built into them on the back of the top and bottom of the front stretcher. Any suggestions on how to incorporate that into this bed design? Thanks Brian

Maybe you attached the wrong pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

What? Three shorter ones? Are you considering two panels, one above the other? That is, the divider between the panels would be horizontal? That looks odd in my minds eye.

Maybe you attached the wrong pic?
    In the pic there are 3 panels/2 dividers left to right. I am asking if 1 divider would look better on a queen.

I just posted a picture of the top of the dresser showing the cutouts the corners. Thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Planning on building something similar to this design in a platform bed. Two questions.

Is the bed that is shown full size or Queen size? The bed photo isn't very clear, but it appears that the center of the three panels is smaller than the ones to each side. A queen size bed is 22" wider than a full size bed. If I were making this bed, I would draw it out eithr on paper of on a 2D cad program and see how the different designs look. I would draw a two panel in queen dimensions, a three panel with all panels the same width, and a three panel with a larger width center panel.

As far as the riser that you showed from your dresser, ad a similar detail on the headboard of the bed. Make the curved cut outs about the same size and see how it looks. If they appear too small, you can always cut them larger.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Two panels in the headboard goes well with the easy pillow arrangement: two pillows, one below each panel. Three panels doesn't work as well.

Regarding the number of panels, I think either two or three would be fine - just a matter of personal taste. I think I'd get myself a couple of large pieces of cardboard to represent the headboard and footboard, sketch out two panels on one side and three on the other - stand them up on the bed, step back and take a look. Maybe consult another member of the household for a second opinion.

Regarding the corner cutout motif from the night table, I don't see any way to incorporate that into the bed and maintain the Mission style look (and I think the bed design you've chosen is very attractive).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Is the bed that is shown full size or Queen size? The bed photo isn't very clear, but it appears that the center of the three panels is smaller than the ones to each side. A queen size bed is 22" wider than a full size bed. If I were making this bed, I would draw it out eithr on paper of on a 2D cad program and see how the different designs look. I would draw a two panel in queen dimensions, a three panel with all panels the same width, and a three panel with a larger width center panel.

As far as the riser that you showed from your dresser, ad a similar detail on the headboard of the bed. Make the curved cut outs about the same size and see how it looks. If they appear too small, you can always cut them larger.
    Lee, I don't know the size of the bed in the photo, just something I grabbed off google. Where would you add the detail from the riser on the head board? I thought about all four corners where it meets the posts and doing the same on the foot board. thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Regarding the number of panels, I think either two or three would be fine - just a matter of personal taste. I think I'd get myself a couple of large pieces of cardboard to represent the headboard and footboard, sketch out two panels on one side and three on the other - stand them up on the bed, step back and take a look. Maybe consult another member of the household for a second opinion.

Regarding the corner cutout motif from the night table, I don't see any way to incorporate that into the bed and maintain the Mission style look (and I think the bed design you've chosen is very attractive).
    Always a good idea, I was hoping I could make up my mind without doing this, but.... brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Lee, I don't know the size of the bed in the photo, just something I grabbed off google. Where would you add the detail from the riser on the head board? I thought about all four corners where it meets the posts and doing the same on the foot board. thanks brian
    Here's one idea without the 4x4 posts. You could add the posts and extend the flat board and the vertical one out each side over the top of the posts.
    Queen bed.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here's one idea without the 4x4 posts. You could add the posts and extend the flat board and the vertical one out each side over the top of the posts.
    Queen bed.JPG
    Lee, I really appreciate your help and suggestions. Brian
    Brian