Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench vs Butt Chisels?

If you have to site every single blow of the chisel, regardless of how long you've been at it, you might as well get a mortising machine. That, or be cross-eyed by the end of the day. My head starts pounding just thinking about it. My favourite mortise chisel is a Marples 1/4" that's probably about half its original length, maybe less. 5/16" isn't far behind. Easier to hone at that length, too.

I'd love to have all the wood that was likely thrown in the stove by people who didn't know how to quickly and effectively fix a mortise that was chopped slightly off plumb. I'd be rich. You know who you are. Just buy more wood.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 04-25-2022 at 1:31 PM.

Ok, so I need to choose to use the most difficult tool possible to be cool. Got it

Did I just hit the road or mountain bike forum tab by mistake?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

You pick whatever works for you Mike.

I'm not sure where the "site every single blow of the chisel" came from but when you do need to sight down for, lets say the final paring, a longer chisel is typically easier to keep aligned.

I'm in the use what you want camp, I don't advocate anyone use anything other than what works for them. It may seem strange to me and I may have questions but at the end of the day, it's your own work.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I'm not sure where the "site every single blow of the chisel" came from but when you do need to sight down for, lets say the final paring, a longer chisel is typically easier to keep aligned.

I'm in the use what you want camp, I don't advocate anyone use anything other than what works for them. It may seem strange to me and I may have questions but at the end of the day, it's your own work.
    That's great. Unless I'm paring far from the edge (a relative rarity for me) I love a shorter chisel when making final paring cuts. That's good, because almost all of my chisels are now very short. And they're third and fourth generation.

Use what works for you.

Paring is different than chopping mortises. I just did breadboards this weekend, using my long 1/4" (~14") chisel, instead of my one or intermediate length (~10"), or the short one (~ 5"). All are are vintage sash mortise chisels. Over all, a pretty quick process. I didn't time it, but my coffee wasn't cold. Sometimes it's just not worth struggling with things. I mean, I could flatten or joint a board with a #3 as well.. but I don't.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Paring is different than chopping mortises. I just did breadboards this weekend, using my long 1/4" (~14") chisel, instead of my one or intermediate length (~10"), or the short one (~ 5"). All are are vintage sash mortise chisels. Over all, a pretty quick process. I didn't time it, but my coffee wasn't cold. Sometimes it's just not worth struggling with things. I mean, I could flatten or joint a board with a #3 as well.. but I don't.
    Yep.

Use what works for you.