Thread: Bessey uniklamp for cabinet doors

Bessey uniklamp for cabinet doors

Has anyone who builds cabinet doors used the bessey uniklamps? I'm considering getting a few mainly for the lighter wieght then my full size parallel clamps. I'm wondering if the pressure is sufficient and if there are any issues with deflection.

Mitch, I have uniclamps along with Bessey parallel clamps. If you are looking for lightness, then the uniclamps will work well. I take the view that one should not need to use a lot of clamping force with joinery. If you do, there is something poorly cut and extra force is not going to make it better. I use the uniclamps on smaller items, such as boxes and drawers. The parallel clamps get used on larger stuff, mainly because they are solid and immovable on a bench top, especially when gluing up panels. For doors, such as frame-and-panel, I would go to the parallel clamps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a few of the UniClamps and like them for light duty purposes. They are not as exacting as the bigger, heavier parallel clamps for sure, but they still have the flat and long faces that make them easy to engage with the material. I use them for many situations including things like you want to glue up with them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might want to consider Jorgensen parallel clamps even though they are not being made by the original Jorgensen Company. The "re-issued" Jorgensens I have work better for me than the Besseys. The Bessey parallel clamps that I have are difficult to slide and position as well as at least mine are not truly parallel. The jaws all toe in a bit and no amount of pressure will force them parallel. The Besseys also will tend to slip when applying pressure, the Jorgensens do not. To prevent the Besseys from slipping, I have to slightly re-position the sliding jaw as it engages the bar. This can be a real nuisance, especially during a complicated glue up. With the Jorgensens, once the movable jaw is positioned, it will stay right there as the pressure is applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    You might want to consider Jorgensen parallel clamps even though they are not being made by the original Jorgensen Company. The "re-issued" Jorgensens I have work better for me than the Besseys. The Bessey parallel clamps that I have are difficult to slide and position as well as at least mine are not truly parallel. The jaws all toe in a bit and no amount of pressure will force them parallel. The Besseys also will tend to slip when applying pressure, the Jorgensens do not. To prevent the Besseys from slipping, I have to slightly re-position the sliding jaw as it engages the bar. This can be a real nuisance, especially during a complicated glue up. With the Jorgensens, once the movable jaw is positioned, it will stay right there as the pressure is applied.
    I don't believe that Jorgensen ever had an equivalent to the lighter Bessey UniClamp. But I could be wrong about that.
    --

I just finished my kitchen rebuild last summer that had 44 total doors. I used my Jorgensen Parallel clamps along with my Rockler aluminum bar clamps.
    https://www.rockler.com/surefoot-aluminum-bar-clamps

I love my Jorge's, but opted for the Rockler clamps most of the time for the lighter weight. As mentioned before, if your joinery is good, you don't need alot of pressure. All my doors are solid wood, no ply or mdf. The Rockler clamps worked flawlessly.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Thanks for the replies I will order a few and give them a try.

Blog Entries
    Uniklamps are my most used clamp for casework and many other things so you have my answer ;-)

UniKlamps.jpg

These are casework clamps and not a replacement for pipe clamps or full sized parallel clamps. They will put 300+ pounds of pressure on though which is plenty for their designed purpose. I have abused mine now and again (really putting a twist on the grip but still by hand) and had one fail 15 years ago or so. I emailed Bessey, explained what I had been doing and what had failed. I was wanting to buy a replacement part. They sent me a free replacement clamp.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-22-2022 at 4:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had 4 of the Uniklamps in different lengths, after a couple years three of the four don't hold anymore. I just started paying the extra $15 -$20 for the k-body Revos as I have never had one of them start to slip. Depending on what I am doing, I do like the smaller size and weight of the UniKlamps though.

Glenn, I'm jealous... I have always wished I had more of the UniClamps as the six I have are very handy.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Glenn, I'm jealous... I have always wished I had more of the UniClamps as the six I have are very handy.
    Jim, with mixed feelings I mention that I have 4 original Bessey UniClamps and 4 Banggood clones …

The Banggood clones are better: adjust a little smoother, and significantly easier to tighten down with the rubber grips.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Glenn that is a nice collection you have there. I have a decent amount of the full size parallels. I'm looking forward to trying out the uniklamps. I actually ended up finding 4 of them used on Facebook for 8$ each.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, with mixed feelings I mention that I have 4 original Bessey UniClamps and 4 Banggood clones …

The Banggood clones are better: adjust a little smoother, and significantly easier to tighten down with the rubber grips.
    I actually find these smaller, flat jawed clamps quite useful...it's nice to know there are alternatives out there in the world, too.
    --