Thread: Wood ID

Wood ID

A family member sent me the attached photo of a table she has. She wants to know what type of wood it is made from. In looking at the photo, I might guess maple. It doesn't appear to be some of the more common things I have worked with like red/white oak, mahogany, or walnut. When I get beyond those I really have to start guessing. Anybody want to play "name that wood"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Have her take some more photos without the glare from the windows. Shots, straight down toward the table top. Don't use a flash.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like Oak with the Golden Oak stain color - very popular some years back.

Alder top.

Blog Entries
    Definitely not oak.

Could be Birch but I'm leaning towards Beech. Would like a shot of end grain.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 04-21-2022 at 3:43 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Is that made by Canadel by any chance?

I suspect Birch if it was a North American larger scale manufacturer.

I need to see a picture of the bark.

Barring that, agree with birch.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-21-2022 at 11:04 PM.

Hard to tell from the picture, but I see little ray flecks in the top, so probably maple. Oak and beech have fleck, but it doesn't have the grain of beech or the pores of oak.

Bottom and skirting under the top look more like birch or maybe well stained poplar.

100% certain that it is tree-wood. Beyond that ...

Wood identification from clear, high-resolution photographs of cleanly cut end grain is generally accurate.

Wood identification from blurry, low resolution photographs of face grain, particularly when it is stained and commercially finished, is little better than guessing.

Looks more like birch than maple to me. The maple I use the grain pattern is different. Often there's a difference in color that makes the long wavy grain stand out.