Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T nuts/threaded inserts?

When I use epoxy on the threads, I'll wax the threads/tip of a screw and let it sit in the insert while the epoxy sets. May not be necessary, but it gives me piece of mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Why use inserts when an equal number of large screws will do the job?
    I have always used lag screws...but for this project...a new direction for me as a woodworker... I thought I would go with better mechanical fastening and step up my game. PLUS, they will be stronger than screws in my opinion.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    I have always used lag screws...but for this project...a new direction for me as a woodworker... I thought I would go with better mechanical fastening and step up my game. PLUS, they will be stronger than screws in my opinion.
    You might want to test your strength hypothesis. I have and threaded inserts didn't come out on top. Yes, the bolt is stronger than a screw, but neither is like to fail. What fails is the thread to wood connection. Specifically, the wood holding the threads. The limited depth of inserts means the fastener is only bitting into ½"-¾" of material. Meanwhile a 2" thick top can have 1¾" of screw buried into it.

I used hex socket threaded inserts on the legs of recent dining table bench build. I built two benches for a friend at work. The owner wanted to be able to remove the legs from the benches for easy storage. Legs were 3" x 3" red oak tapered on the inside down to 2" x 2". I cut a small flat on the inside corners of the legs, easing the flat back into corner with a lamb’s tongue. I epoxied the 5/16"-18 threaded inserts into pilot holes drilled into the flat area. I put a small piece of green masking tape over the end of the threaded inserts during installation, so no epoxy got into the inside threads of the inserts. I also experimented with different size pilot holes until I found the Goldilocks fit, not too easy to screw in, but not too hard to screw in either. The owner wanted some rock-solid benches as some of his in-laws are on the large size and the benches would be used for family gatherings. He was impressed on how solid the benches were and the threaded worked great in this application. The trickiest part of the build was matching the color of the commercially stained/toned dining table. That task turned into a week of samples and trying different stains, dyes, and techniques to get the color just right.

Rampa 8mm tri-thread inserts are the best. I have tried nearly every brand and type available and these are all I use. If you can't find any online, let me know and I can get you a baggy of them.
    JonathanJungDesign.com