Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need non-standard species ply

Need non-standard species ply

What do you guys do when a customer asks for a species of wood for their cabinets and you can't find panel material to match (they want flat not raised panels)? I'm doing some spalted maple cabinets and need to figure out what to do about panels. I'm entertaining the idea of just re-sawing and using the maple but worried about movement, buckling, etc. with material that "thin" - not to mention that I'm not looking forward to the process of sawing and creating that many panels.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can you get a similar veneer that you could attach to a 1/4" plywood ?

Veneering is the typical solution...the specific species/variety on the show face and an appropriate backer veneer on the reverse to balance the panel. There are companies that do custom layups for exotic veneers, but that would be uber expensive in many cases as well as where there isn't a need for a lot of material. A vacuum veneer setup can do the work for you in-shop and with the panels already near end-size.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Or just build reverse raised panels.

I'm not intimidated by it but haven't done shop veneer panels. What size substrate do I start off with so that panels don't wind up too "thick" for the panel grooves?

Also, reversed raised panels are an interesting idea!! do you just go with 1/2" material and dado/groove the perimeter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I'm not intimidated by it but haven't done shop veneer panels. What size substrate do I start off with so that panels don't wind up too "thick" for the panel grooves?

Also, reversed raised panels are an interesting idea!! do you just go with 1/2" material and dado/groove the perimeter?
    Basically yes. Reverse raised are just raised panels flipped so the flat face is toward the front. AKA true shaker.

fantastic solution...thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Basically yes. Reverse raised are just raised panels flipped so the flat face is toward the front. AKA true shaker.
    I do this quite a bit, and just use a back cutter such as https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/products/5850
    Chris

I have that particular cutter...any chance of a pic of a completed back panel? I was thinking a straight bit to kind of 'hide' the thickness variation.

I would contact me and have me make your panels. Seriously though, get someone who is equipped and knows what they're doing to do the job. Failures can be expensive and, depending on the material, irreplaceable.

Veneering opens up many opportunities but takes some skill and equipment. The easiest way to what you are envisioning with veneer is with a vacuum bag and paper backed sheet veneer. Two layers of paperback over 1/4" ply would probably get you close to 1/4". I almost always rabbet thicker panels for an exact fit and a more substantial feel. If you want to use solid wood you can resaw 4/4 and rabbet to fit your groove. A narrow reveal looks best and hides the machined edge but you have to allow for solid wood movement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have that particular cutter...any chance of a pic of a completed back panel? I was thinking a straight bit to kind of 'hide' the thickness variation.
    The below project picture has an example...note, the frame is 7/8 and the panel is 5/8. Should work with 3/4 frame and 1/2 panel.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....92#post2990792
    Chris

I know you just asked about panels, but do you have any exposed end panels on the cabinet boxes that you would need to veneer, etc to match or are you just talking about face frames / doors / drawer fronts?

I’m not set up to veneer with a vacuum bag or anything at this point so I would likely re-saw or plane down 4/4 down to 5/8 or 1/2” and rabbet the back side to fit in the groove and provide expansion for the solid wood panel. What is the width ranges of panels you will need?
    Still waters run deep.

Why not ask your reg. supplier ?

Mine will order in anything I want to wait on and pay for. No minimums either. These are custom laid up sheets by one of the big manuf., I don't remember offhand which one though.

Solid panels, raised to the back is what I'm going to go with here - thank you all!

Chris, beautiful piece and exactly what I was looking for.

Philip, I don't leave my cabinet case sides exposed, always paneled - thank you for the info.