Thread: Older large bandsaw and jointer in Maine

Older large bandsaw and jointer in Maine

Hello, I am new here. My father is stating to thin the herd of older wood working tools. He acquired a large(36"?) older Witherby Rugg & Richardson bandsaw years ago as well as a 16" Yates jointer. The bandsaw is not setup, but in very good shape. The jointer will run, but the knives need sharpening and are not in the machine. Jointer is 5hp 3 phase if I recall. I have been tasked with selling these for him.

Are these desirable? I am thinking the bandsaw is more of a collectors item than a tool someone would use, but the jointer could put out some work with some new knives.

What should I try and sell these for?

Better yet, maybe they can go to a good home at a fair price through someone on here?

Thanks--Stephan

IMG_1039.jpgbandsaw1.jpgbandsaw2.jpgbandsaw3.jpg

Wow - very cool looking tools and part of woodworking history. Definitely something a collector my love to have if they had the room. Given 3 phase, unless someone's shop has 3ph or they convert it, they can't use it. Most shops that would have 3ph would be a business that most likely has some insurance requirement to use equipment that has blade guards and such. Amazing to see these still sitting somewhere and not gone for recycling.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

They are saleable and desirable by a subset of woodworkers who both prefer old iron and also prefer larger capacities for the kind of work they do. There are many examples out there. A forum site called OWWM is very focused on this subject and should also be on your radar as you research what to do next.

Please be advised that offering to our SMC community is a great idea, but you must do so in the Classifieds after becoming a Contributor. Please click on the link at the top of the page to do so and open up access to photos, private messages and the Classifieds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Wow - very cool looking tools and part of woodworking history. Definitely something a collector my love to have if they had the room. Given 3 phase, unless someone's shop has 3ph or they convert it, they can't use it. Most shops that would have 3ph would be a business that most likely has some insurance requirement to use equipment that has blade guards and such. Amazing to see these still sitting somewhere and not gone for recycling.
    3ph isn't a issue for anyone interested in owwm. Owwm or thr vintage machinery classifieds would be the place to sell them. Unfortunately neither site will give you a valuation of the machines.

They are both project machines judging from the pictures. The jointer needs a fence and guard and the bandsaw needs a motor, pulley, guides(?) and guards. Maybe worth a few hundred for the bandsaw and $500-1,000 for the jointer to the right person unless you put them into working order first.

If I had the means I would love to have that jointer to rehab. Unfortunately I have no place to store it and there just isn't enough time in the day to rehab such a large machine. But there is certainly a large community of people out there that love this sort of stuff. Do a bit more research and I'm sure you'll find some happy homes for these old beautiful machines.

Thanks for the feedback so far, good news is the jointer does have its fence and guards! Also, he has the belt and a bunch of blades for the bandsaw and maybe a motor somewhere, but no guards were ever on that thing, lol!!!!

Those items are typically valued highly by the many professional custom shops in the New England area. Recommend you check out the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworking group and see if they allow non-members to post to their classifieds.

Guy you need to talk to on this forum is Darcy Warner. I have not seen him post for a while but he buys and restores and sells old machines for a living.