Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Elevator

DIY Elevator

Recent threads and videos have shown and discussed some examples. While I don't expect to build or use one I do have a few comments
    There is a reason real elevators cost big bucks, there is a lot of engineering, expensive hardware, risk and insurance required. Given that and the nature of DIYers a few design suggestions may help keep body and soul together.

"Hurray, it works!" is not the right sentiment, "Of course it works" is better.

Fall prevention hardware can be used. There are ladder ascent devices and retractable lanyards that could be used with a harness when riding.

There are retractable lanyards that might be misused with some success to catch the whole elevator if it is light duty. If it doesn't have enough travel I can imagine it being mounted a couple feet below the top, allowing a scary preliminary drop. This is very much not recommended, but then,,,DIYer nature.

Safety Factor for this type of device should probably be 5. Test this. If you are using a hoist with 1000 sounds capacity, raise the elevator a couple of inches and pile on 5,000 pounds. If course it won't lift but it should not fail.

A fork truck is a good answer but not for passengers. A duct hoist is more affordable. There are small electric manlifts which can have many indoor uses.

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid, I remember seeing a continuous moving ladder in a parking garage. It was only used by employees. It was a thick belt about 12" wide with these handles sticking out about 6". The worker would walk over and grab a handle and step on a lower handle and it would take them up through open holes in the floors. There was another belt for going down. It looked scary to me. I was pretty young so I don't remember any details.

I just tried to google the thing and came up empty. The closest I could get was the Paternoster or "Elevator of death". What I remember wasn't anywhere near that safe. You stepped into a hole in the floor to catch a ladder rung. So no floor.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 04-20-2022 at 2:22 PM.

Along with my DIY elevator I put in a pull down ladder in the shop ceiling. Just in case the power were to go out while I was in the attic and couldn't get the elevator to lower. I did have to use it once while I was wireing the lift and dropped the pendent to the shop floor. Maybe I should have put in a fire pole!
    When I was a kid I always thought we should have a firepole from my bedroom into the kitchen.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I just tried to google the thing and came up empty. The closest I could get was the Paternoster or "Elevator of death". What I remember wasn't anywhere near that safe. You stepped into a hole in the floor to catch a ladder rung. So no floor.
    What you're describing is probably best known as a "belt manlift".
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I have to rebuild my back deck, it is way over due. I am seriously considering mounting some angle iron on the stringers to use as rails for winching stuff up the stairs on a platform. My thought is to terminate the stringers a couple feet underground so the platform can be on the rails at all times and flush with the surrounding ground. When I need to bring something up the stairs I just roll it onto the platform then attach a winch to the platform and winch it to the top of the stairs where it will roll off onto the deck.

Just another thought to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    When I was a kid I always thought we should have a firepole from my bedroom into the kitchen.
    Right next to the pipe from your bedroom going to the toilet bowl in the bathroom?

Blog Entries
    The rope tow near Grandma in-laws house comes to mind. It has been wrecked over the years. It was still intact 40 years ago.

Snow Pond Ski Area
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

A duct hoist is more affordable.
    There is a feed mill where We do maintenance work that wa built in the '60s that has one of those old lifts. This thing goes right from the bowels of the basement, right up through complete darkness to the top of the bin floor, 80' above the ground. It has counter weights that can be added or removed to best suit the load being carried. When it gets bad is if you have something heavy with you that won't be going both ways. You need strong arms because they are doing all the work. It's still way better than climbing the ladder.

I would always stare at the winches on the front of houses in Amsterdam, used in those narrow houses to winch furniture upstairs.

I'm sure the moving men who had to carry heavy furniture up 4 flights of stairs in my house would have loved that. I thought about having one installed when we did renovations, but never did.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

"Fall prevention hardware can be used. There are ladder ascent devices and retractable lanyards that could be used with a harness when riding."

Tom, your respect for safety is appreciated. If'n we're gonna ride these homemade contraptions, fall protection should be part of the deal..

My daughter's engineering degree led her down a path of safety and human resources, she's a big shot now for a multinational company....my son, he owns a steel const. biz, he just finished the fab and steel work on the addition to the Georgia World Congress Center.
    ..guess what these two talk about at family dinners.

I made this Tower Crane for my son. There are 15 metal headed characters/figurines scattered about and at least that many safety violations......find 'em....enjoy

F16E4E1F-CDC9-4585-B095-A3F7E97580E9_1_201_a.jpg ECEA4558-8A4D-4515-A67D-003D6B9F2C7F_1_201_a.jpg 195E39F7-D4D2-41B3-A4A6-8962FBFF559A_1_201_a.jpg 38486EE4-EE21-4004-844E-99ECBB14FCBD_1_201_a.jpg FC5DF5B9-3B5B-4998-AC95-6FEACC7E7E9C_1_201_a.jpg

Blog Entries
    I like that crane a lot. Spiders too.

Blog Entries
    I still ride the bales on the Hay-O-Vator up into the hay mow. The duck under the hay loft doors is getting tight.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The rope tow near Grandma in-laws house comes to mind. It has been wrecked over the years. It was still intact 40 years ago.

Snow Pond Ski Area
    There was no more brutal way for a novice to be introduced to skiing than a rope tow. I remember it well and it was a lot more than 40 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I just got off the phone with my Father in Law. His memory is slipping but he remembers the rope tow at Snow Pond very well!
    Best Regards, Maurice

A friend of mine built (had built) an elevator to get him and his heavy electric wheelchair between two floors. I built an deck with a big hole next to the house. He bought two old non-functioning fork lifts. Someone made one working forklift mechanism from the two. Someone else welded up a frame to guide a platform. Someone else built walls around the whole thing to make an elevator shaft. Definitely not OSHA approved. He used it for 30 years.