Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easy add quick connect collets or changers to an existing CNC

Hi David,

Here is a youtube video showing the process of changing end mills and how they go into the machines, this happens to be an industrial lathe, but you get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbN1h2e5jY You heat shrink the tool into the collet, still have to wrench the collet assembly and nut down every time, about all this gets you is a set tool length.

As for steppers vs. servos (or closed loop steppers), you can make anything work if you want. Have the machine home before each tool change and you can get rid of any lost steps if they are happening. Only time I've lost steps is crashing into clamps and such, never cutting. My CNC mill (old Milltronics) uses servos and the only machine I've ever used steppers with is my Stepcraft.... not thrilled with steppers, but it works and I have yet to use it enough to warrant changing it out, either the steppers or the machine completely.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Brian - I'm not sure I quite understand how these work. How are these retained into the spindle, and what is the function of the tapered end? Are the collet wrenches still required to remove and replace? Which end does the tool bit get heat shrinked into? Perhaps you could provide a photo or two showing one of these in use.
    Thanks,
    David
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Brian - thanks for the video link. Those look interesting, but as you say - you still need to use wrenches to R&R the collet into the spindle nose. The photo you shared looked like it had a taper sticking out of the collet. I assume that was for mounting a drill chuck. In the video, it looked like these were being used with live tooling in a cnc lathe/turning center.
    David

The long taper is for cutting clearance. One of the big applications for these is 5 Axis milling where the part swivels at all angles and small nose diameter of the holder and longer reaches become very important. They make the heat shrink versions in long extension and the same shape as the standard ER collet.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600