Thread: Did I pay too much?

Did I pay too much?

First let it be known that the last thing my shop needed was another lathe chuck. Sometimes though you just have to cast caution to the wind and jump on an opportunity.

$55.00 plus $6.00 shipping. Might be one of the cheapest accessories I have ever bought for that 3520b.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one never had any problems with it, it uses other nova jaws.

I'm not sure you can have too many chucks.

where did you get it and do they have more?

This was a private sale on Facebook Marketplace. I was flipping through ads with nothing in mind. Just occupying time. This ad posted just a few minutes before I saw it. Messaged and said I will take it but I want to see the inside of the box. The seller had posted a picture of the box only. Yesterday morning a picture of the contents popped up on Messenger and I answered give me your PayPal info please. Seller was only about 90 miles from me so they put it on Fedex yesterday morning and I had it this morning. This is almost as good as the ~450bf of Live Oak I picked up a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'm not sure you can have too many chucks.
    I follow that theory also, but at some point......

This was chuck number eleven. I am just a hobby and craft woodworker. Almost embarrassed to publicly admit I have that many. I will admit a few months back I had to stop and change jaws on a chuck so it fit the workpiece. I remember muttering to myself if I had one more chuck I would not have to stop and change jaws.

If you are happy with your purchase then you didn't pay too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    .... I remember muttering to myself if I had one more chuck I would not have to stop and change jaws.
    With that logic why stop at 11? I'm up to 20, two of them currently loaned out to friends. All of mine are Novas but some are older and some I bought used for very little.

I REALLY hate to change jaws. And I keep several chucks with duplicates of my most often used jaws - that way I can leave something in the chuck to keep it registered while I work on something else. This can be handy at a club demo, too. Also with two lathes in the shop I can leave work in progress on one lathe and on a whim turn something on the other. I sometimes have people come to learn something (not so much the last couple of years of course!) who might start a project then not get back to it for a week or so. Extra chucks are really handy then.

But at that price I'd buy another chuck!

JKJ