Thread: Table Saw Running on Static Phase Converter

Table Saw Running on Static Phase Converter

I have an opportunity to buy a Powermatic PM-66 with a 5HP 3PH motor!
    Would a solid-state static phase converter like a PhazPak (pic) run the PM-66 ok, I'll never need the full 5HP from the motor anyway so I'm thinking it should work?

I do have a 5HP RPC that I use with a couple of 1~2HP machines, but I don't think it would run a 5HP motor.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

contact the manufacturer. Had a basic 3 HP Roto past and it started all 3Hp, even 4 HP. 10 HP Roto started 10hp even hard start but was the medium duty so had some gizmos inside. They are not all the same, Id ask the people that built it.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-19-2022 at 3:16 PM.

I've been running my 2hp turret mill and 5hp engine lathe off of a static converter since the mid 90's. I haven't had any issues with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I had a static converter many years ago for a table saw and small dust collector. Worked fine.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    contact the manufacturer / Id ask the people that built it.
    That would be me.
    I built the RPC according to a design based on a 5HP idler using wiring & controls rated for 40-amps!
    The RPC is hard-wired to a 40-amp breaker, but if I add up the total full-load 3-PH amps of my "Idler/Dust Collector/Saw" I come up with 36-amps.

I realize that the idler & the saw will probably never draw their full load amps, but when you consider the "generated leg" is also drawing power form the 40-amp supply it could probably push the limits of the RPC/Power Supply.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I've been running my 2hp turret mill and 5hp engine lathe off of a static converter since the mid 90's. I haven't had any issues with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I had a static converter many years ago for a table saw and small dust collector. Worked fine.
    Thanks for the replies!

Doug

Static phase converters do work. In my experience it did not cause damage to motor being run on the static converter.

Nice job on your RPC. If you plug your new Powermatic into your RPC you should know immediately if it will work or not. The saw will either start or sit there and hum. It depends on how much current the RPC can supply to the Powermatic on the third generated leg. Since you are using balancing caps I think there is a strong possibility that your RPC will start and run your saw if you decide to go this route.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 04-20-2022 at 3:22 PM.

I ran a Delta 12/14" table saw with a 5 HP Baldor 3 phase motor using a 3 HP VFD for about ten years. I only tripped it out on overcurrent once, when trying to rip a big microlam with the wrong blade.

Remember that your 5.0 HP Powermatic will only produce 5.0 HP, when fully loaded. The rest of the time, it's current draw will be much less. I would try it on my existing RPC first.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a Powermatic PM-66 with a 5HP 3PH motor!
    Well it looks like I procrastinated a little too long on this offer!
    The seller ended up selling it to a co-worker.

Not really a big problem missing out on the deal
    It just gets me one step closer to getting what I really want!
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...inet-table-saw

I have about 3/4 of the funds needed saved up, so providing they don't go up much in price within a month or so I can wait a little longer.

Doug