Thread: Shingle oil?

Shingle oil?

Heard this referenced on one of those home improvement shows. Never heard of it and can't find much online. Anyone ever use it?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

It is a product made for treating shake shingles prior to install. Chevron makes a version, as I'm sure others do to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    It is a product made for treating shake shingles prior to install. Chevron makes a version, as I'm sure others do to.

Chevron SDS says it's highly refined mineral oil

https://www.msdsdigital.com/chevron-shingle-oil-msds

Previous house had shake shingle siding. I applied a BEHR oil product purchased from Home Depot. I cannot recall the exact product name or color. Since the house was only one story, applied oil with a garden sprayer.

The south and west sides of the house, I did every year due to weather exposures well as to keep the shingles from drying out, curling, and turning almost black. When we moved, shingles were about 10-12 years old and still looked very nice.

I would consider shingle oil to be on the same shelf as snake oil. Here in California most if not all shingles and shakes have to be fire treated.
    Im a roofer
    Aj

NMI....

Is this for wooden shingles/shakes or is it for asphalt shingles?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

There used to be a scam around here where guys would offer to oil your cedar shingle (aka kindling) roofs for $100 or so. TV exposed some as just using water. Fortunately shingles not popular here anymore and many of us have replaced them.
    < insert spurious quote here >