Thread: What's The Diff??

What's The Diff??

Not that any manufacturer that caters to woodworkers would ever resort to marketing hype to jack up a price, but...

What's the difference between Minwax Polycrylic finish for $11.12 a quart and Minwax Sanding Sealer for $19.98 a quart (other than the 79.67% markup)??

Quote Originally Posted by John Nordyke View Post
    Not that any manufacturer that caters to woodworkers would ever resort to marketing hype to jack up a price, but...

What's the difference between Minwax Polycrylic finish for $11.12 a quart and Minwax Sanding Sealer for $19.98 a quart (other than the 79.67% markup)??
    The former is a valuable, usable and relatively decent product. The latter is something that many folks think they need because they've been conditioned by marketing and myths so they they will pay the piper for it. That might have been true for solvent based lacquers where a good vinyl sealer can make a noticeable difference, but not for many other products. A thinned coat of the finish makes for a great "sanding sealer" for these kinds of waterborne products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't think I've used Sanding Sealer since the early 1980's.

While I appreciate the joke Jim, I find sanding sealer useful for blotchy wood, like pine. I don't know if polycrylic is the same stuff, I thought sanding sealer was basically shellac, not a poly.

Andrew, at least for the Minwax products, they look, smell, apply, and seem to me to sand exactly the same.

I expect the differences may be in the resin used and in the presence of zinc stearate or another agent that promotes sandabilty in the sanding sealer. They aren't very forthcoming about what's in them, urethane vs acrylate, vs something else.

When I think I need a sanding sealer I use a 1 or 1/2 lb cut of shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    While I appreciate the joke Jim, I find sanding sealer useful for blotchy wood, like pine. I don't know if polycrylic is the same stuff, I thought sanding sealer was basically shellac, not a poly.
    The fact that Polycrylic has polyurethane in it is not material. The product being sold as "sanding sealer" can take on any number of characteristics, but it largely has little benefit as a "sanding sealer" beyond simpler means.. As I noted, a thinned coat of the waterborne finish can serve the same purpose and to your point, a light coat of wax free shellac can do the same. What I was trying to point out s that the product called "sanding sealer" that's marketed as a must-have at an expensive cost like the OP mentioned isn't really necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Difference between a normal clear coat and sand sealer was traditionally that the sanding sealer had additional stearates to ease the process of sanding that first coat, which typically is quite rough, and with solvent based topcoats, can also be a bit tacky/sticky to sand. So, you're getting the same product base, but there's a lot of additives to ease the sanding. You will also typically find a notice on the label, warning against using the sanding sealer as the final topcoats, tempting as it may be, as the stearates make the finish much softer and less durable, hence the prescription of one seal coat, two topcoats of final desired sheen.

Is the stearate additive worth an additional $8+ ? Maybe not, but with the volatility of chemical availability at this point in time, who knows.

To sum: The vast majority of finishes now are considered "self-sealing". With today's water-based finishes, which typically sand up to a nice powder readily, most of us don't even worry about the issue, as it sands like a dream. But, there are those who have formulated finishing schedules that are insistent, and this product and step must be included.

jeff

Difference between a normal clear coat and sand sealer was traditionally that the sanding sealer had additional stearates to ease the process of sanding that first coat, which typically is quite rough, and with solvent based topcoats, can also be a bit tacky/sticky to sand.
    This right here...

Plus - the real value of sanding sealer - to a professional - was in the quick dry feature which allowed for sealing - sanding - one finish coat of varnish, all within one 8 hour day.
    That feature is of little value to a DIYer, but, is huge when you are facing the prospect of adding a day to a job, just for letting the material dry.

As quicker drying (waterborne) materials became available, the need for sanding sealer sort of went away - especially since the stearates caused adhesion issues with waterborne materials.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Thanks for the discussion, all. I couldn't resist being smarmy - but the consensus appears to be as I suspected...I'm not getting any benefit with the over hyped sealer vs just going with the poly itself.