Thread: Mission, arts and crafts bed

Mission, arts and crafts bed

Planning on a build using a 4 x 4 posts with the edges beveled. Quarter saw oak. Using a solid panel on the head board foot board, I hate slats, dusting nightmare. Trying to come up with an idea of how to cap the end grain on the posts. One thought was just a square cap beveled edges, since I can't really use cove moulding under the cap. Appreciate any suggestions. Brian
    Brian

Check VanDykes. Pricey but it will give you some ideas. Sounds like you want something simple, not too ornate, right? In which case a simple cap with rounded edges and a corner moulding might be adequate.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 09-01-29 Legacy Heritage Classic Capital Van Dyke's Restorers.png

Why can't you use cove molding under a cap? If you're concerned about grain direction mismatch -- post vertical, and molding horizontal -- there are fixes. For instance, you can mill the molding profile on wood whose grain direction is vertical. Use router bits and a router table. That's what Robert's pic above from Van Dykes shows. Or a different fix is just to live with the horizontal-vertical mismatch. It is only 4", which is short enough that it isn't likely to cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Why can't you use cove molding under a cap? If you're concerned about grain direction mismatch -- post vertical, and molding horizontal -- there are fixes. For instance, you can mill the molding profile on wood whose grain direction is vertical. Use router bits and a router table. That's what Robert's pic above from Van Dykes shows. Or a different fix is just to live with the horizontal-vertical mismatch. It is only 4", which is short enough that it isn't likely to cause trouble.
    I plan to make the leg so I have quarter sawn on all four faces and bevel the vertical edges on the post. I don't have the skill to fit cove mounding around an eight sided post like this. Brian
    Brian

You might consider a patinated copper cap. To my eye it fits with the Arts and Crafts style. You can buy the cap, and play with the patination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You might consider a patinated copper cap. To my eye it fits with the Arts and Crafts style. You can buy the cap, and play with the patination.

thanks I will investigate. brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Check VanDykes. Pricey but it will give you some ideas. Sounds like you want something simple, not too ornate, right? In which case a simple cap with rounded edges and a corner moulding might be adequate.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 09-01-29 Legacy Heritage Classic Capital Van Dyke's Restorers.png
    I did look at these. thanks for the idea. thinking about using this on both ends, but think it might be to much. brian

https://www.vandykes.com/designs-of-...05/s/12186129/
    Brian