Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone make small vise screws?

Any hobby woodworker needs to befriend a hobbiest machinist. They love to work with the harder material just like you like the softer stuff. Things like vise screws are like candy to them. 😎
    Jim

Dumbell bar is Acme threaded....buy with the wheels that lock the weights to the bar....Used to be about ~$8 at Wall mart sporting goods....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Dumbell bar is Acme threaded....buy with the wheels that lock the weights to the bar....Used to be about ~$8 at Wall mart sporting goods....
    Thats Brilliant! the diameter on this one is 15/16 inch.

IMG_0501.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Try looking at the Beal Wood threader. I used the 1 1/2" for a moxon vise. As you will see they have various sizes. The dowel rod (I turned my own) must be accurate in the diameter.
    LINK; https://www.bealltool.com/products/t...g/threader.php

Blog Entries
    The answers to many mechanical problems come from Murray Ohio, ... or Dayton... or Cleveland : )
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think I found my solution!

ACME rods were expensive too for some reason, and rare to find anything even up to 12mm, so...

I ordered a replacement screw for a cast iron woodworking vise! It's acme threaded and comes with a handle and everything.

I don't have a nut for it, but I cut a hacksaw kerf in the first two threads and found that I can use the screw itself to cut threads into a piece of hardwood with an appropriately sized "starter" hole. This will give me a hardwood mounting nut. Might it wear out after a while? Yeah, maybe. But I think it will last plenty long enough, and it's super easy to make a new one if necessary in the future, so no big deal!

I also ordered a 3/4" wood screw tap and die set... So maybe I'll play with that too when it comes in. But I'm liking this metal screw quite a bit.

Here are results of threading two hard maple dowels with a 1-1/2" DCT set. I'm making a wooden saw vice a la James Wright on youtube. I read that soaking the dowels in boiled linseed oil for a day helps. I did that with a piece of PVC which was *just* larger than the dowel. Put in dowel, top it off, oil soaks in, top it off again a few hours later. The die set went through the dowel like butter and fits the nut nicely. A little boiled linseed oil on the tap giong through the nut worked well too. The nuts are made of hickory, and it went through just fine. I've been pleased with the DCT set.

20220502_110356.jpg