Thread: My Annual Communion Chalice gifts for newly ordained colleagues.

My Annual Communion Chalice gifts for newly ordained colleagues.

For the last ten years I have made communion chalices for all of the newly ordained United Methodist pastors in Southern California and Pacific Islands.

This year I made them from laminated 8/4 Sapele. They are all around 8 or 9 inches tall. These are all made to be used, so the designs shifts for function over the years. They need a wide, full base to resist tipping. DAMHIKT. The stems are different thicknesses for different hand sizes. All of the cups hold enough wine (or Welch's Grape Juice) for a whole bunch of people to dip their bread into.

I make them for 2 big reasons. The first is for a symbol of encouragement for the pastors. The second is for fun. I remember Sam Maloof's recommendation to make something you love over and over for a lifetime (or some words like that.)

These are about 98% finished as some need a little more fine sanding and WOP on the inside of the cup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thank you for making a difference in others lives with these chalices. They look nice and you had fun doing a good deed. (Hopefully you will go unpunished) Have you ever had any problems with the laminations separating over time.?