Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What might cause severe checking?

What might cause severe checking?

A neighbor brought me a board to plane for him. He cut it with a chainsaw jig. Moisture was 22%. What could cause such checking? I've never seen anything this severe, so I had no idea what to tell him. It runs the entire length, not just in from the ends.
    checkers.jpg

Short answer, many things.
    Rapid drying, internal stresses, wood species.

wood is a natural product and while we can "predict" what it will do, it will do what it wants to.

IMHO, that's not checking but wind shake. Wind shake is when a tree is subject to severe winds, that bend and twist the tree violently. I think the early wood in the rings is weak and will separate. The width of those rings also look huge meaning the tree grew rapidly with lots of water. That would also weaken the tree and be more easily damaged in a wind storm.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 04-16-2022 at 5:27 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

To add to Brian's answer, ring shake can also be caused by felling a tree onto a hard surface or across another tree trunk. The stress from the impact can separate the growth rings as shown in your pic.

I have also read about shake being caused by some sort of bacterial infection in some hemlock logs, though as I understand it (and in my experience) it is usually confined to the butt log. I don't know if this kind of thing also happens in other species.

Lightning will do it.

I had a 24" Red Oak beside a field that got struck by lightning. I dropped it before it died, because dead trees are hard to drop. The lightning had separated the rings like that, right around the tree, quite a few rings in. It was a minor strike.

Another 21" Red Oak that was struck by lightning a few years earlier had one side of the trunk turned to splinters.

i had a lightning strike on a ridge top cherry once that split about 30' of trunk into 3 pieces and scattered shards over a 200 yard radius. The power of nature!

Thanks guys. Your 3 answers make sense, wind shake, hard fall, or lightning. I never experienced those, so I was thinking down the wrong path of severe checking.

No matter what the real name for it might be or the cause, that's clearly "firewood shake" from the photo. Sadly. You might be able to rip off some rift sticks from the edges for your friend, but the center of that board is, IMHO, a lost cause.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fortunately, he wasn't too disappointed when I told him that he spent his time cutting thin firewood.

You are all wrong. Slather it with gloss epoxy, mount it on some hairpin metal legs, and advertise it on Etsy for a couple thousand dollars as a unique and special, one of a kind, hand crafted heirloom.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You are all wrong. Slather it with gloss epoxy, mount it on some hairpin metal legs, and advertise it on Etsy for a couple thousand dollars as a unique and special, one of a kind, hand crafted heirloom.

John
    Now that's funny and would probably work. Brian
    Brian

John
    Always making lemonade, you continually inspire me John.

John
    Don't forget to put LED's into the crack for that visual, POP

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Don't forget to put LED's into the crack for that visual, POP
    They have to be multi-color, too, that changes colors constantly...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...