I recently picked up a small Aget model 420 dust collector that was designed for metal dust collection, It was originally used on a surface grinder.

The upper filter area had quite a bit of fine dust in it when I picked it up & the lower collection box was about 1/3 full!
The excess dust in the upper filter section could have been from not having that much space for collection (just the lower section)

Seeing that the filter & the collection areas were fairly small, I decided to disassemble the unit so I could make a standard style dust collector.

I noticed a internal baffle after I had the main cyclone section removed!
"Not that easy of a task since the unit was pretty much spot-welded together, But the trusty die-grinder & saws-all took care of that"

I'm thinking of removing the original baffle, Or trying to make a internal air-ramp to help eliminate the air turbulence probably caused by the original baffle?

There was also a internal deflector that fit inside the exhaust tube!
In the original design it deflected the exhaust from directly blowing on one point of the filter, But in my modified version I'm thinking of leaving it out?

My plans are to use a 20gal. metal garbage can for the collection container & a cartridge style filter for the exhaust.

Eventually the dust collector will be used with a 10" Van Dorn pedestal grinder & a 6" Ex-Cell-O carbide grinder I also recently picked up.

Any ideas or comments on my modified metal dust collection system?

Doug