Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I find an old southbend lathe???

Very nice, you did good. I had a SB Heavy 10 but sold to get something faster. I put a Lot of Money into that machine and lost my rear when I sold. Learned a lesson, twice.

Now I own a Grizzly 9x20 it came with Everything new, I did reuse some of my old tooling. The 9x20 is fine, don't let anyone tell you that you need a SB, get something you can use.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Very nice, you did good. I had a SB Heavy 10 but sold to get something faster. I put a Lot of Money into that machine and lost my rear when I sold. Learned a lesson, twice.

Now I own a Grizzly 9x20 it came with Everything new, I did reuse some of my old tooling. The 9x20 is fine, don't let anyone tell you that you need a SB, get something you can use.
    That's one thing I have noticed, you can spend a LOT of $ on all the other stuff. Dumb luck helped me, I didn't know what all I was buying, but turns out that the lathe really did come up with practically everything I'd end up needing so far. I've done a few projects with it now and had fun. Created some scrap and some functional parts. I can definitely see how a bigger lathe would be useful, but this little guy is a great way to learn some things about machining I think. I wouldn't even try to use this thing for anything other than little one off parts made for a hobby. It's certainly not ever going to be a production machine. I sure do have a lot to learn in it's use, but that's the fun of it!

Last week I saw a lathe like your Grizzly sell on an auction for near new price. They had a whole shop full of Griz machining equipment. I was hoping to get a mill there, but no bargains to be had. Still looking for a mill now, being pretty picky. Hopefully I can find a machine in as good of condition as the lathe, ideally with some good tooling, in my area, for a good price. Lol, not asking for much.

I have had good luck with Grizzly, also had a mini mill, and drum sander both were fine. You can dump a lot of money in a old lathe and never recover a dime of what you spent. In the mean time the quality Imports work just fine. The place I purchased the old worn out SB replaced with a large Grizzly. Instead of spending your hard earned money on replacing old worn out parts, get something you can use. I was making a patent pending item and needed speed and dependability.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Well if anyone followed this thread on its move from the off topic room, here's an update. The atlas I mentioned was in Cody WY, 6 hours away. I decided to go for a drive today and go see it. That's beautiful country, so at the very least figured some change of scenery would be good for the soul. Turns out the little lathe is in pristine condition. I'm not exaggerating when I say this 1975 vintage machine has no visible wear. A little discoloring on some paint maybe, but nothing discernable on the ways, gears, etc. No crash signs on the compound, no dropped chuck bites on the bed, nothing. The guy who owned it was a good gunsmith, and he obviously took good care of his tools. It came with some good gunsmithing jigs and tools, and a whole bunch of other stuff, so I couldn't resist. I know it's not the most capable machine, but finding one in this condition, I just couldn't resist. Had to go solo, so took my dingo, that's why it's in the pic.

Attachment 477804
    Nice Score!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of machining.

I do know some Atlas machines used Zmak castings in the drive train. Cheap pot metal designed to break in a crash/overload before expensive gears. Of course now finding the cheap Zmack casting is just as expensive as the gears would be.
    Bill D.

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.or...army_lathe.pdf

Tonuy in the Uk is a great resource. he sells reprints of manuals.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html

Well done Steve! Looks like a really stout bench also.

Make sure to spend some time leveling the lathe. If you don't you will be fighting taper forever.
    Bill D

Regarding a milling machine, a Bridgeport breaks down into a lot of 200 pound pieces and a 600 pound main column without the knee. It totals out at 2200 pounds. The threaded hole on top of the arm is rated for lifting with a proper forged eyebolt. 1/2" or later upgraded to 5/8".
    Most engine hoists are rated for only 2000 pounds. The top of the arm is almost exactly five feet off the ground. Making it a hard lift into a modern pickup since they jacked them up 6" higher about 10 years ago. More for 4x4
    Bill D

Thanks for the info Bill! A little update on my lathe adventure. As per standard operation procedure for me, I dove in 110%, figured out a few cool things with thread cutting, then hit a crossroads where I needed some material to make a project. That takes time to get here, so I got distracted by some other shiney thing and parked the lathe for a bit. I do have the stuff to build a stop for the mortiser though when I get back to it. Still looking for a good deal fairly close for a decent Bridgeport.

Be aware the single phase motor is special. It is instant reverse. no need for the rpm to drop enough for the centrifugal switch to engage before reversing.
    Very common for a lathe or milling machine cost to be less then or equal to the needed tooling, clamps etc. Sounds like you got a good deal.
    Bill D