Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiete rosewood and quilted maple box

Blog Entries

Tiete rosewood and quilted maple box

My buddy asked me to make a jewelry box for his daughters 4th birthday. Turned out that was 2 weeks away. Haha. She’s a fan of pink and purple, I’m not a huge fan of how purple heart ages, so I went a different route. This is Tiete rosewood, not a true dalbergia, I guess also called Patagonian cherry. Pretty wood for sure. Lovely to work with. Found a scrap a quilt in my bin that fit perfect for the lid. Always wanted to do convex sides on a box, so this is my first go. Pretty happy with that too. Finish is satin nitro lacquer.
    005599FC-5E4A-4050-9DDC-1F93325213EE.jpgB88173DA-D6EB-4DBB-AE09-F0380767F62C.jpgF993B0A6-2993-43E6-8E59-EDBBAC0D5D88.jpg

Very nice...I like the convex shaping of the sides.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    That is a very good looking jewelry box! I like the contrast and the lift handle. Nice quilt, it really shimmers
    Best Regards, Maurice

“She’s a fan of pink and purple”. They are all fans of pink and purple ….but not many can discern such sophisticated luxury ….aged FOUR
    years ! Be assured it will still be a special piece when she is an old , but happy lady ! Be sure to sign it.

Blog Entries
    I had her pops sign it, so one day she can find out for herself just how terrible doctor handwriting really is. Haha
    D2E34828-B782-49D6-A101-1188DC8EE733.jpg

Very, very nicely done! That is an instant heirloom! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A lifelong treasure, beautiful work Justin.

Gorgeous! I love that the panel is visible inside and out and the matching lift.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Lovely jewelry box. I have to make my granddaughter one, she is only 1 so I have more than two weeks! The curved sides are a delight.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful box and a keepsake inscription. Tell us how you made the curved sides and what was the finish?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Finish is satin Mohawk nitro, whole box sanded to 2000 grit, I find the super high grits really help bring out the quilting in the maple without reverting to BLO and keeps the maple stay nice and white.

So curved sides, I couldn’t find much info, so I kinda had to figure it out on my own. First step is to make the box sides pretty thick, I was a little under an inch or so. I marked out a curve that I thought looked good, leaving a half inch lip at the top and bottom, I also made sure I had my lid and bottom dado depths marked well. After that I took my bevel gauge and figured out the maximum angle that I could set my table saw blade at to pare as much of the waste away. Then I sawed the lid off and planed the mating edge of the lid and box. It’s important to chop the lid off prior to buggering around with the sides (you need a nice reference side to chop the lid off). After I was happy with how the two bits were meeting up I taped the lid to the box. I then took the aforementioned maximum cut angle and set my table saw for that angle. I ran it through right side up and vice versa for both long sides of the box, being sure to replace the tape as I cut through it. You don’t need any marking for the short sides, the first bevel cut will cut through the miter and leave a lovely line for you to set the fence. After that I fared the curve to my liking using a jack plane, then smoothing plane and block plane, then cabinet scraper/ spokeshave and finally with a card scraper and light sanding. I always maintained 3 sides taped and it was well secured in my twin screw vice. You can ensure the curves are the same visually and by whether the miters lining up on the corner. Pics here:
    step 1 (thick box)
    5B19C713-AAD6-469E-99E1-0A4C9CAA7FED.jpg
    Step 2 (table saw bevel cuts)
    1B89029D-352D-4D42-8981-A584FB45AEC3.jpg
    step 3 (fare curves to your liking)
    A175C0CA-DCBA-4847-B5C1-34FD820FC210.jpg

Blog Entries
    Dude that's not woodworking that's art! Gorgeous in every way! I never tried sanding two 2000 grit but results you got on a quilted maple make me want to give it a try – absolutely riveting. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! The mirka abralon pads are great for the high grits, you can see it spring to life right before your eyes

I love that box, it's just perfect!

That is one beautiful box! Thanks for sharing your build process, great problem solving.