Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley 39 dado planes – thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have made dados every possible way. I would rather set them out and mark their positions by hand, and then use hand tools to form them. I am not racing the clock. It is also not a journey thing, although this is a part of it. I just feel more in control and sure of the outcome working by hand than with power tools (and I am as experienced with power as hand), where things can go wrong very quickly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Normally I would agree, but the OP specifically said he is making bookcases to house some 4000 books. We aren't talking 6-8 dados here for a normal book case. It sounds like he will be cutting dozens, if not over 100 dados.

This is a case where taking even an hour to build a crosscut sled for the table saw will save hours of cutting by hand.

Mmmm ... I did not see that in his original post, and then missed it several posts later. Dozens of dados does change things somewhat

I did once make a cabinet with 30 dados ... but used a power router

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-18-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    For shelving for books it is really helpful to avoid 3/4 material. A shelf that is 7/8 or 1" will sag noticeably less than one that is 3/4. Even if you end up with a 3/4 dado, I would make a small rabbet on the end of a 7/8 board to fit in the dado.
    I think a thicker shelf just looks better in a bookcase.

The https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/ is a good place to get a feel for how much things could possibly sag. It makes assumptions about the shelf stock being "perfect" straight grain with no knots or defects.

While I haven't made personal measurements to compare real-life sag, I have taken its results into account when deciding on spans and if I add a re-enforcing strip to the front & back edges of a shelf. So far, no complaints or failures.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

One other idea...a form of sliding dovetail...as a 1/2 dovetail. Another would be a sliding dovetail.

One can add a lip to the edge of a shelf, to help prevent sags. And, attach the back of the shelf to the back of the case, usually via a screw centered along the length of the shelf.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Jason, you make a valid point. Conversely it is only through this type of repetition that one can become really skilled at use of a sensitive tool like a dado plane. Many Neanders avoid using the dado plane because they do not use it repetitively. Through repetitive use one will learn the intricacies of spur placement, depth of cut, etc. And afterward the OP can give forum members valuable wisdom. Dado on!

4000 books, at 1" wide each, 20 books per shelf, 200 shelves, 400 dadoes.

Three dadoes at a time, 133 plane runs.

To some it may be tedious, or too much effort. What are we doing here if we only want quick effortless uses of hand tools?

One of the reasons I got into this hobby was the dislike for the dust, noise of the power tools, the respirator, the eye protection, the dust collector system. And even then, I would get crap in my eyes.

Nothing wrong with power tools, I use them, but it's not enjoyable.

There's something goofy in going to all the trouble to get the fancy space age steel or vintage planes and chisels, but they only get used when the task is short and easy.

Mark, you also make a very strong point. Only through repetition and practice will you master a hand tool.

I guess it is up to the OP to decide if he is just looking for an efficient way to make dados or if he wants the mastery of a specialty tool.

Either way I hope they share their pictures and lessons learned from the project

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    4000 books, at 1" wide each, 20 books per shelf, 200 shelves, 400 dadoes.

Three dadoes at a time, 133 plane runs.

To some it may be tedious, or too much effort. What are we doing here if we only want quick effortless uses of hand tools?

One of the reasons I got into this hobby was the dislike for the dust, noise of the power tools, the respirator, the eye protection, the dust collector system. And even then, I would get crap in my eyes.

Nothing wrong with power tools, I use them, but it's not enjoyable.

There's something goofy in going to all the trouble to get the fancy space age steel or vintage planes and chisels, but they only get used when the task is short and easy.
    You can't be serious that hand cutting 400 dados is not tedious.

I enjoy hand tools for the same reasons you do. I hate the noise, dust, and danger of them in a small basement shop.

But, let's be realistic here, if I had 400 dados to cut, it would be worth the effort to drag my table saw upstairs to the garage and set it up.

Too many assume that thise "400" Dados all have to be done at once....when they don't really need to be.

Operations can be divided up into sub-assemblies...as a series of Book Cases. Otherwise, this would be way to big and cumbersome to move, or install into place.

Done as a series of smaller bookcases....maybe like a set of Barrister's

One can also use a Carcass Saw to saw the walls of the dados....then the plane of choice to remove the waste

Too many are too wrapped up in how much time something takes....almost like they are working to a Time Clock. Some of us do not have such restrictions.

If "time" is so limited for some....why are they even bothering?

What restricts my time in the shop is my health....right now it is my knee....I have no deadlines to meet....have no time clock to punch...I work in the shop as a hobby....When I do go to the shop, I do not just stand around, I am there to get a task done..usually I set about 3-4 tasks to be done. And...I get "done" when I get done.

hand tool vs power tool? I use the best tool for the task at hand. That I have on hand. Shop IS a Hybrid Shop, always has been.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

If doing three at a time, or even 4 at a time, it's 133 or 100 runs with the dado plane. One would quickly realize doing one at a time, like when using a table saw, is not efficient.

This job is an excellent excuse to splurge on a plane. The Australian plane looks very nice, but they can be had from a local USA maker too, Steve Voigt, http://www.voigtplanes.com/dado.html, no connection with me.

My estimate was for 24" wide shelves. If the design uses 28" or 36" shelves, the number of dodoes to cut is reduced, down to about 55 if going for 36" shelves and four at a time.

Blog Entries
    One way to save time & effort when cutting dados for shelves is to align the left and right sides of the case and cut the dados for both sides together.

This can be a little tricky if one is cutting stopped dados. For appearance the only side that needs to be stopped is the front face. So make sure all is square and align the backs.

My objection to using a powered router is it always seems to grab somewhere and skew off course.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If doing that many dados by hand you may want to find a source for some spare knickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    If doing that many dados by hand you may want to find a source for some spare knickers.
    Good point Scott, perhaps that is why Terry Gordon has HSS for his nickers on his dado planes.