Thread: Online forum for parents of teens?

Online forum for parents of teens?

Does anyone know a forum similarly supportive and generous as SMC for parents of teens struggling with mental health?

I have not found one with an active, large community.

Any help appreciated…. Feel free to pm me; it’s a sensitive (and lonely) subject.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-19-2022 at 9:23 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sear...ty%20and%20ocd

If you're already on Facebook, send me a direct message. I may not be much help, but I'll listen.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.matthews.1291

I'm not aware of any specific groups or forums, but do understand the issue from experience that continues to this day beyond the teen years. You know how to contact me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Appreciate it, Boys. I wish there was a sub forum here on SMC. Very supportive.

It's a lonely place. It's hard to diagnose, and not easily "cured". I'm looking for techniques to be a better, supportive, patient, happier parent/man.

Blog Entries
    Prashun, further to the PM I sent you, I'm sure you can find some good help on that forum even though they don't have the specific subforum that you are looking forward to.

Prashun, Counseling helped me, but you need to find a counseler you can connect with. You might have to tr several to find the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Appreciate it, Boys. I wish there was a sub forum here on SMC. Very supportive.

It's a lonely place. It's hard to diagnose, and not easily "cured". I'm looking for techniques to be a better, supportive, patient, happier parent/man.

Teen years are TOUGH! My daughter had VERY difficult middle school years. She was VERY withdrawn.

I started with her family doctor who got us in touch with a psychiatrist who helped us find a therapist for her. It took 4 therapists before we found the right one. The first three were nice, my daughter liked them but they really didn't actually help her much. Her 4th therapist "Elizabeth" really helped her a lot. She was an actual therapist where the previous ones were more of just paid friends. Elizabeth actually helped her look at things from a different perspective.

She is 17 now, a junior and has REALLY blossomed this year! She had a GREAT counselor in her Freshman and Sophomore years. When she started high school I made an appointment with her freshman counselor and drug her in kicking and screaming. She really watched after my daughter and they became quite good friends. Even after the horror of being seen with her father on campus she thanked me (a couple years later of course) for making her go to meet the counselor (kind of more of a home room teacher) although it was very traumatizing from her accounts... LOL!

I really believe that supportive parents make a huge difference! My daughter and I actually enjoy hanging out with each other these days and I enjoy having her friends over too. Of course, that doesn't mean chores get done without my nagging! LOL!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 04-20-2022 at 3:20 PM.

Mental health issues are so difficult to diagnose even in adults until they reach an intense stage. Even after diagnosis, they can be very difficult to treat. And after diagnosis, hindsight is always 20/20 and you can realize how you missed the signs when this now adult was a teen. Been there, done that, didn't want the damned t-shirt! Good luck in your search and journey Prashun!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....