Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball changes I’d like to see

Blog Entries

Baseball changes I’d like to see

-Do not put a man on second base to start the tenth inning, next thing will be if there is no score by the twelfth inning we flip a coin
    - let each manager get two reviews per game on anything, balls, strikes, home runs, etc
    - if a review can’t be decided in one minute the call on the field stands
    - batter must stay in the batters box, if he steps out a strike is called
    - pitcher must deliver the ball within 30 seconds, if he doesn’t a ball is called
    - the umpires get one review per game, same one minute requirement applies, a second review will be allowed if needed with two outs in the last inning
    - I don’t like the shift but I wouldn’t outlaw it.

I’m a Met fan but I think the ten year contract to Lindor was nuts.
    Dennis

Eliminating the DH has to be top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Eliminating the DH has to be top of the list.
    Amen!

Or at the very least the pitcher should bat. You can have a DH, but the pitcher bats. It's a matter of safety. A pitcher who's thinking about head-hunting will think twice if he's going to bat next inning.

if there's a 10+ lead in the 8th call it a night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEKO7KK8M0

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Amen!

Or at the very least the pitcher should bat. You can have a DH, but the pitcher bats. It's a matter of safety. A pitcher who's thinking about head-hunting will think twice if he's going to bat next inning.
    I rather like the DH. It's such a worthless bat when 95% of the time the pitcher strikes out.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I hate gloves in sports. Especially football receivers with sticky gloves, but back to baseball.

No gloves. No fiddling with them for 20 seconds after every pitch. Seen the sliding gloves that extend 2" past their fingers? When will we see the first 12" sliding glove?

No pine tar. Spit on your hands. Or don't.

No metal cleats and limit the length. (Maybe metal cleats are already gone.)

Totally agree about calling a strike when a batter takes too long. Same for a pitcher, but a ball.

And NO DH!!!!!!!!! The strategy forced on the manager of whether to allow him to bat or not in a critical situation has ALWAYS been a huge part of the game. Stop the crazy focus on offense being all the viewer cares about.

But I don't even know why I'm taking this time to post this. Baseball has lost me. Introducing the DH into the NL this year pushed me out of the corral.

A once great unique game is now unwatchable.

All baseball teams should be forced to pay for their own stadiums. There is little to no economic benefit, and it's a private business.

Buy a MLB team and you can attend owner's meetings, suggest changes and cast a vote for or against.

I couldn't afford it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-15-2022 at 12:37 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Require the team name to include the name of the city they play in. Football is the worst at that.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    All baseball teams should be forced to pay for their own stadiums. There is little to no economic benefit, and it's a private business.
    All sports, not just baseball. I hadn't thought about that but I completely agree, I think Buffalo citizens are paying something like $600 million as part of the cost of a new football stadium.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I rather like the DH. It's such a worthless bat when 95% of the time the pitcher strikes out.
    I like the DH too, without it every third inning is a dead inning.
    Dennis

ON the highlight reels I get tired of watch a guy bomb a HR and his trot around the base. Show me a guy beating out a single. Show me a double play. Show me the good throw in from the field to make a play.

For a DH I think it should be for the catcher not the pitcher. The pitcher stands up all inning and moves around, swings his arms and body around. The catcher has to squat down unnaturally and wait for something to happen before his legs cramp up.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    ON the highlight reels I get tired of watch a guy bomb a HR and his trot around the base. Show me a guy beating out a single. Show me a double play. Show me the good throw in from the field to make a play.
    +1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with exclamation points to meet the character quota.

I'm vaguely agnostic on the role of the DH in general, but I'm glad they finally have it in the NL.
    Having different rules for the two leagues was always just plain stupid.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.