Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krenov Style Apron Planes

Looks like some planes from Batch II are starting to arrive to their owners.

" I just received mine in all-ebony, and it's a work of art. I'm very pleased. What a beautiful little tool.

Thomas "
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Hi Guys! Just a note to say that if you would like to reserve a plane from batch III please let me know by Sunday evening 7/16 since I'll be placing an order for the blades next week. Batch III will actually be the final batch. Reason being, once the end of August comes around my spare time will be spent bucking, splitting and stacking Ash for burning this Winter. Come late Fall & Winter my time in the studio will be spent making furniture again. Thanks to those that have ordered planes and to those who have followed these posts! To change it up a bit here is a photo from one of last year's splitting sessions.

Take Care!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	482715

One last bump before making the blade order.

I have two Ebony body blanks and blades available in this third and final batch if anyone is interested in reserving a plane, your choice of side woods.
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 07-23-2022 at 9:58 AM.

Hi Guys, just a note to let you know that this batch of apron planes is going to be awhile yet before completion and shipping. Reason being, the motor on my 10" Rikon burnt out on me and the new one isn't expected to be here until September 2nd. Sorry for the delay.

I was thinking about just buying another but a 14" vs waiting for a motor replacement. The more I thought about it though I really don't need a 14" and the 10" is perfect for my small studio because it sits under the bench until I need it.
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 08-14-2022 at 9:14 AM.

Update: The replacement motor was delayed and now set to arrive Wednesday. This time I received notice with a tracking number so things are looking better. The delay has allowed me to come to the decision to make more planes. Batch III however will still be the last batch of Ebony bodied planes seeing I only have enough Ebony body blanks on hand for 2 more in addition to the ones already reserved. If you would like to reserve one these two please send me a note. With the cost of Ebony being so high it isn't practical for me to order Ebony for future planes. The planes that have been made and in the process of being made are from Ebony I have had on hand for years so using it was not a cost issue really.

I do have a number of East Indian Rosewood body blanks I will use moving forward. I do have plenty of Ebony stock for sides if anyone is interested in a Rosewood / Ebony combo.

That's all for now,

The new bandsaw motor is in and this weekend I'll be back to the bench making planes. I do still have two Ebony body blanks on hand if anyone is interested in reserving one in this last batch of Ebony bodied planes. Along with this Ebony bodied batch I will make a couple Rosewood bodied planes as well. These will most likely have Curly Maple sides with a Rosewood hybrid pin and wedge. Watch for photos in the weekends ahead.

A wood combo I'm thinking about for an apron plane, riftsawn Bocote with Ebony sides. It would be a hard wearing plane and I think it looks great. Hybrid wedge pin & wedge would be matching Bocote with brass rod. What do you guys think?

Name:	BE1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	487020

While I'm working on batch III of the apron planes I decided to look at what stock I have on hand for future planes. I found I have plenty of Rosewood, Bocote, Curly Maple, and other cutoffs from years gone by. Back then I made and sold wood guitar picks that I sold on Etsy. I made hundreds of them! I recall a week in December 2012 or so that I had close to $2000 in sales. These were mostly for Christmas gifts. Well as with anything, others noticed and it didn't take long for Etsy to get flooded with other woodworkers making picks.
    If your interested in reserving an apron plane send me a note.

Name:	W1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	487572

Name:	Picks.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	487573

Here is another offering if anyone is interested. Riftsawn Rosewood body, Rosewood hybrid pin and wedge with Birdseye Maple sides.

Name:	RB.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	487703

Just a bit of an update. The bodies and sides for batch III have now all been rough milled and will be cut to size next weekend. I made a couple extra planes that will be for sale once completed. I think the combination of the woods & figure I selected for these will make these hard to part with. Thanks again for your patience everyone! Between the long wait for a replacement motor for my bandsaw and very long weekly hours at the day job as well as regular at home work it's been difficult to find the time to spend in the studio.

Take Care

As I'm making progress on batch III planes I'm thinking about what will come next. Rather than making more apron planes I'm thinking about offering planes with 1.5" - 2" blades with chip breakers. Even more so I'm thinking radiused / coopering planes since these are something you don't see offered to often.

What are your thoughts, would a radiused / coopering plane interest you? These would be in the $400 range so I'm looking for feedback before moving forward.

Thanks,

Name:	313845935_792801561791427_2337480887803565953_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	489248

Name:	314415474_446255697616399_2465821492523608329_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	489249

Name:	313790477_850824236058547_2572632876574854022_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	489250

Name:	314050702_3333446760270841_4407587588506076727_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	489251
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 11-05-2022 at 8:52 AM.

The thought of building larger Krenov planes will be moving forward. 1.5" Hock blades set into riftsawn Bubinga bodies, $350.00. With 1.75" blade $355.00. With 2" blade $360.

Please contact me if interested.

Thanks,

Just a quick update for all on status:

Batch III planes are about half way to completion. Sorry for the delay. I was without a bandsaw for a couple of months and until just this past Friday I have been working overtime at the day job including Saturdays. That being the case I only had limited time working on the planes. Please accept my apologies for the delays.

Thanks for your patience!

Hi Guys, an update for the New Year ahead. The planes for batch III are slowly coming along. The good news is I'll be able to spend more time making planes in the New Year. Starting January 3rd I will be going back to my old full-time position as a maker & fabricator for CNC fixtures, forming tools and machine maintenance. Much hire pay than being a cue maker at Mc Dermott cue. That being the case I no longer need to work the long & overtime hours I have been for the last year and my weekends will be mine again.

On a side note, my wife health issues have still not been resolved. It's difficult to get into see doctors since appointments are so hard to make, everything is months out.

Thanks again for your patience!