Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spreading glue in mortices

Spreading glue in mortices

There are lots of ways to spread glue on flat surfaces but today I have to spread it into some deep narrow mortices and groves. And I have to do it quickly and accurately. The little plastic trowels are too short and small. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I use small paint brushes from Harbor Freight and find I can get glue where I want it pretty accurately and consistently
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Acid brush

I use a 6" machinists rule. It works as a thin narrow spatula. It easily spreads glue into a mortise, and is easily cleaned.

+1 to acid brushes! They wash out well under warm water.. I've only used a few from my Harbor Freight 30 pack.

Acid brush (they actually come in multiple sizes) as they are disposable, although you can wash and reuse a few times and for larger glue-ups, I have a silicone glue brush. One of the challenges is not getting too much glue in there, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have some polyester swabs that I use for that kind of stuff. Like cotton swabs, without the fibers.
    earl

I save the sticks from popsicles and ice cream bars and use as spreaders for glueups.

Silicone barbecue sauce brush with pot.
    Bill D

Acid brushes and pallet knives. Although I prefer the knives for dovetails.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I use acid brushes sometimes but recently I have used a Rockler silicone brush more. It has a flat end in addition to the brush. I like to shove that flat end into the mortise to spread the glue. I use the brush to put it on the tenon. If the mortise was too small for the Rockler brush I would just use an acid brush - or fashion a little tool out of scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I save the sticks from popsicles and ice cream bars and use as spreaders for glueups.
    I do something similar, but save scrap thin rip cutoffs, cut to about 10 inches in length. I usally apply a bead of glue to top of the mortise wall with a squeeze bottle, and when the glue starts to drip down, use the the "paddle" to spread the glue.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    I never knew the "little paint brushes" that I use are actually "acid brushes". Learn something new every day
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Telling us the size of the mortise sure would help. Popsicle craft sticks work for larger than glue brush size.

Usually acid brushes and disposable paint brushes for wider surfaces. I trim 3/4+"s of the tip--makes the brush stiffer and moves the glue more easily. Someone left a Rockler silicon brush and glue tray in my shop and I grab it first now instead of the acid brushes. Old Dogs???