Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Bandsaw? Grizzly G0513x2bf vs Harvey Alpha HW615P

Which Bandsaw? Grizzly G0513x2bf vs Harvey Alpha HW615P

I had pretty much decided I would buy the 17" Grizzly G0512x2bf bandsaw when I started taking a close look at Harvey's HW615P. Their 15" bandsaw seems well built. Here are the key differences, would love any opinions as to which is the better buy:

• $830 price difference (includes shipping +tax)
    • Grizzly has 12" resaw, Harvey has 14"
    • Grizzly has 16-1/4" max cutting width left of the blade, Harvey has 14" (Grizzly w/ fence: 15"; Harvey is 12" - I don't own a table saw so this matters a bit to me)
    • Grizzly is 2 HP, Harvey is 3 HP
    • Grizzly's table is 17-1/4" x 23-5/8"; Harvey's is 20x20"
    • Grizzly: 357 lbs; Harvey: 441 lbs
    • Grizzly flywheel: 16-3/4"; Harvey: 15"
    • Harvey offers the following creature comforts: worm gear table tilting, full enclosure of blade, tire brush, safety shutoff switches for doors, knurled and chrome knobs/handwheels, tool hook for Allen keys.

Seems to me like the Harvey is better built and offers more power.. on the other hand, the Grizzly is a known entity and has a lot more reviews. What do you think?

Personally I tend to always gravitate toward the more powerful motor.
    Harvey gaining some traction in the reputation dept..

I vote for the Harvey the stealthy black looks more serious.
    Good Luck
    Aj

It's a good problem to have, isn't it?

I like a deeper throat personally, not so sure the extra HP on the motor is super useful after you get above 2 HP or so.

Incidentally the Grizzly is 420 lbs, not 357. I think you've confused the ordinary model with the x2bf.

Incidentally, if you're willing to pay $2215 for the G0513x2bf, why not go for the 19" G0514X? 3 HP instead of 2 HP, and 2"+ of width for $50 more. Only downside is giving up the foot brake.

Also what's going to be the main purpose of the bandsaw? If it's to resawing, maybe what you want is the Laguna 14BX?

The Grizzly actually is is the 357 lbs - 420 lbs is the alleged "shipping weight" . For a bit more money, you could get an awesome bandsaw that is not China made :
    https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...guide-sp976616

Yes, certainly a good problem. I hadn't considered the 19" saw... now you've got me looking at it. An additional 2" throat width and 1 HP might be worth the trade off of not having a break.

The primary purpose will be resawing, but I'll also be doing long rips and the occasional curve cutting. I'd like a saw with a bigger table than the 14bx and more throat width.

I have a a 514X2 and it's a good saw. But it only has 12" resaw height. As long as that's not an issue I would recommend it. If more resaw height is desired then I would look at the Laguna BX18. Having larger wheels over the Harvey's 15" wheels is also good for the blade.

One of the nice things about the grizzly is it has a key switch. I remove the key and hand it on a magnet next to the blade tension lever. That way I can't turn the saw on without tensioning the blade.

Like you, I also no longer own a table saw. That 2” to the left of the blade is a big deal to me.

I own the g0514x2 and I like it. I think mass matters on a bandsaw.

I also think the guide mechanism matters. You want to be able to adjust and tune the guides quickly and conveniently. On the 514 it’s not bad. How’s the Harvey?

The fact that u are using this as a tablesaw substitute is telling. Make sure you get the most saw you can afford. So consider going up in price. I rarely have need to resaw more than 12”. But a wide, stable table and quick reliable alignment of guides and angles is key.

If I had to do it all over, i would have even gone up a notch in my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I have a a 514X2 and it's a good saw. But it only has 12" resaw height. As long as that's not an issue I would recommend it. If more resaw height is desired then I would look at the Laguna BX18. Having larger wheels over the Harvey's 15" wheels is also good for the blade.
    I agree, the larger wheels have me ruling out the Harvey. Now I’m between the 514 with the brake, Laguna 18BX, or the shop fox on sale. My shop is in a basement with 80” ceiling height in one room and 81” in the other, that may be the deciding factor. I need to figure out what total height will be for all the saws with their mobile base. I know the 18 BX is 77-3/4” without the mobile base, and the others are 76”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Good deal. Is Shop Fox the same quality as Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    One of the nice things about the grizzly is it has a key switch. I remove the key and hand it on a magnet next to the blade tension lever. That way I can't turn the saw on without tensioning the blade.
    Nice feature for sure. We have a kid on the way, so being able to take the key to disable the saw also appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Good deal. Is Shop Fox the same quality as Grizzly?
    I would consider Shop Fox slightly better - one advantage over Grizzly is their 2 year warranty vs Grizzly's 1 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    I agree, the larger wheels have me ruling out the Harvey. Now I’m between the 514 with the brake, Laguna 18BX, or the shop fox on sale. My shop is in a basement with 80” ceiling height in one room and 81” in the other, that may be the deciding factor. I need to figure out what total height will be for all the saws with their mobile base. I know the 18 BX is 77-3/4” without the mobile base, and the others are 76”
    My 514 is 76" without the lifting eye (with it it's 78"). The tensioning handle is almost 80". That's without a mobile base. The way the tensioning handle works is rotated down tightens the blade. All the way up is loose. I would expect that if you can't quite rotate the handle all the way up it will still be loose enough to swap out blades.

Shop Fox is the Grizzly brand that came with an extra year of warranty. I think Grizzly is phasing the brand out in favor of using the South Bend brand. I doubt there will be an issue with parts as I doubt there's any difference between the Shop Fox and Grizzly brands (other than color). The reason why I would go with the Shop Fox is for the foot brake. If you are using both hands to hold a board(s) you can tap the brake and it'll shut off the contactor for the saw. Or you can push down on the brake and it will shut the saw off and the brake will stop the blade from turning. The wheels have a lot of mass and will stay spinning a lot longer than you would expect. My 514 has the foot brake but I think the Grizzly's only come with the e brake in the motor.

I ended up going with the Grizzly over the BX18 was because of the trunnions. The Grizzly has cast iron ones where as the Laguna has aluminum. Also the rack and pinion system for tilting the table does make it solider than just trunnions alone.