Thread: Laser engraving question

Laser engraving question

Laser engraving is a topic I know very little about, so I’m looking for those that do it to educate me a little bit. Also if after you read the rest, if I’m out of my mind, please tell me.

I am looking to do a custom engraving for a lacrosse team that I manage. Is it possible to engrave a vulcanized rubber lacrosse ball? If you have done something similar what could a person expect to pay for something like the following:

side 1
    SJV
    Lax

on the opposite side
    last name
    number

How long does it take to engrave something like the above? At what depth do you need it to show good depth. I assume you need a fairly high tech machine to be able to hold a round object, so me buying a small hobby machine probably isn’t a realistic option.

Thanks

All you need to hold the ball is a cardboard or plastic tube--for that matter, a drinking glass will do nicely.

A CO2 laser will do what you want and I would engrave to about 3/64" depth. Keep the image size rather small. I would try a one inch diameter.

Price will depend on quantity but for a dozen I would guess about $12-$15 each should be about right.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you Mike for the response.

One thing to remember is you'll need laser with a decent Z axis to engrave the ball. I would guess 5 to 8 inches
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I engrave them for one of the local high schools, this is a screenshot of the setup in Corel-
    lacrosseball.jpg

It's been a couple of years since I did any,
    don't have any pics but I remember they look pretty good

Note, the ball as I drew it measures 2.2" in diameter,
    and the square that surrounds the logo/name is 1"x 1".
    My notes say 'focus not an issue', and that's using a 2" focus lens...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle